Entertainment

‘Drew Barrymore Show’ Writers Refuse To Return Following Strike Fiasco: Report

   DailyWire.com
Drew Barrymore Show strike
Alexi Rosenfeld/Getty Images

Three Writers Guild of America (WGA) writers have decided not to return to “The Drew Barrymore Show” following drama surrounding the strike, which recently came to an end.

The daytime talk show’s eponymous host got into trouble last month when she decided to keep the program going amid the ongoing work stoppage. Even though Barrymore technically wasn’t breaking the rules because her show was exempt if certain parameters were met, the host faced extreme backlash from both employees and fans who accused her of being a scab.

Now anonymous sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that three WGA writers who were invited back to “The Drew Barrymore Show” have declined the positions. It is expected to return to television on October 16.

All three writers — Chelsea White, Cristina Kinon, and Liz Koe — were on the picket line, the outlet noted. They spoke with THR on September 11 when they found out Barrymore’s show was supposed to come back on the air despite the ongoing strike.

“It is a bummer to hear that the show is going back because it sends a message that union writers are not valuable,” White told THR at the time. 

“I understand that everybody has to do what they feel is best for them. For me and the WGA writers on the show, it’s important for us to stick with our union. We deserve a fair contract, so we are here today outside,” Kinnon agreed.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE DAILY WIRE APP

White said she had “no comment” when asked if she planned to return to the talk show after the strike ended.

In mid-September, after opting to bring her talk show back on air as the WGA strike dragged on, Barrymore said, “I own this choice.”

“We are in compliance with not discussing or promoting film and television that is struck of any kind,” she said.

By September 18, the 48-year-old actress had done an about-face as the negative press continued. “I have listened to everyone, and I am making the decision to pause the show’s premiere until the strike is over,” Barrymore posted on Instagram. 

“I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today. We really tried to find our way forward. And I truly hope for a resolution for the entire industry very soon.”

The WGA strike came to an end on September 27 after 148 days.

Got a tip worth investigating?

Your information could be the missing piece to an important story. Submit your tip today and make a difference.

Submit Tip
The Daily Wire   >  Read   >  ‘Drew Barrymore Show’ Writers Refuse To Return Following Strike Fiasco: Report