An American tourist was discovered dead at the same Bahamas resort where three American travelers died earlier this year, according to The New York Post.
The incidents which happened at the same Sandals Emerald Bay Resort in Great Exuma appear to be an eerie coincidence as the deaths are unrelated, the publication reported.
The most recent death involved a man who appeared to be in his 70s. A spokesperson for the Royal Bahamas Police Force said in a statement that the individual was experiencing COVID-like symptoms prior to his death. Though an official cause of death has not been revealed, the police confirmed they do not suspect foul play.
“The body of the deceased is expected to be flown to New Providence where an autopsy will be performed to determine the exact cause of death,” the statement explained.
Meanwhile, the trio of resort guests who died in May perished due to carbon monoxide poisoning, a report revealed one month later.
Michael Phillips, 68, and Robbie Phillips, 65, a couple from Tennessee, along with Florida resident Vincent Chiarella, 64, were discovered dead as a “result of asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide poisoning.”
Michael and Robbie were “happily married for 43 years” and owned a Maryville travel agency together, according to their obituary.
“They took great care of their clients and enjoyed traveling the world together,” the obituary said.
The resort has since addressed the situation by re-evaluating their safety standards at the resort.
“Ensuring the safety and wellbeing of our guests and team members is and will always be paramount. It is for this reason that we have taken additional measures such as engaging environmental safety experts for a comprehensive review of all systems across the resort,” the company wrote in a statement, per People.
“In addition, CO detectors have now been placed in all guest rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay and although not mandated in any Caribbean destination where we operate, detectors will be installed in all guest rooms throughout the portfolio,” the statement continued. “Our entire team is keeping the families in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.”
A fourth victim, Donnis Chiarella, was airlifted to a hospital in Florida after being found unconscious at the resort alongside her husband, who was one of the victims.
“We remain devastated by the unimaginable event that occurred at Sandals Emerald Bay Resort earlier this month that resulted in the loss of three lives, including two members of our beloved travel advisor community, and the recovery of a fourth guest,” Sandals Resorts said in May. “We wish to once again extend our deepest sympathies and our heartfelt condolences to the Phillips and Chiarella families.”