Sharon Osbourne talked about her ousting from CBS’s “The Talk” and said it came after she privately slammed Oprah Winfrey’s royals’ interview as not “genuine.”
The 69-year-old TV personality said her exit from the daytime talk show wasn’t just about her support of Piers Morgan over his comments about Meghan Markle in the Oprah interview. But also because she had mentioned to people in the studio that she thought the Winfrey broadcast was “s***,” Page Six reported.
She explained to the outlet that top network execs, specifically the head of programming Amy Reisenbach, were thrilled with the Oprah interview, and hearing otherwise reportedly didn’t sit well with them.
“They [CBS executives] were initially pissed with me because I was saying the [Oprah broadcast] was s***,” Osbourne explained. “Just to people at the studio. I didn’t feel it was genuine. I had supported Piers [in defense of his] freedom of speech because he’s a journalist.”
“I think they were pissed off with me, and then when I supported Piers, it was like, ‘Oh god!,'” she added of the network. “And then they were trying to make an issue, but by doing it very cleverly by accusing me, because I’d supported Piers, I must be a racist because he was racist because he had attacked Meghan.”
In 2021, Osbourne and her former co-host Sheryl Underwood got in a heated exchange. Osbourne had voiced support for pal Morgan, who commented about Markle’s Winfrey interview where she accused the royal family of racism.
After the “Oprah with Meghan and Harry” tell-all, Morgan said he “didn’t believe a word that comes out of” Markle’s mouth following her accusations.
Osbourne later apologized. “The Talk” went on a short hiatus, but it wasn’t long before reports surfaced that she wouldn’t be back on the show.
CBS previously said an investigation found no evidence that what happened on air between Osbourne and her co-hosts was initiated by any executives at the network, the outlet noted.
EXCLUSIVE: Sharon Osbourne reveals the three topics she will NEVER talk about after getting 'canceled' https://t.co/dbQxGnjde3
— Daily Mail Online (@MailOnline) September 21, 2022
During an upcoming Fox Nation docuseries, “Sharon Osbourne: To Hell & Back,” the wife of rocker Ozzy Osbourne said she’s ready to move past what happened on the daytime show, the Daily Mail noted.
“I learned a lot through [getting canceled] but you are who you are,” Sharon explained. “I am not a racist … never said one racist thing. People are woke, it’s a whole different world out there. People conduct themselves differently now.”
“It’s scary when you can say one thing and it gets distorted or people don’t understand the context,” she added.