President Barack Obama condemned the horrific video in which four young black men and women tortured a disabled white man, but proceeded to make an absurd claim–race relations have improved.
“I don’t think it’s accurate to say race relations are getting worse,” Obama told CBS.
Later on in the interview, Obama added, “I think the overall trajectory of race relations in this country is actually very positive. It doesn’t mean that all racial problems have gone away. It means that we have the capacity to get better.”
Here are five ways in which Obama’s assertion is false.
1. Polls show that Americans think that race relations has gotten worse under Obama. In January 2016, a Rasmussen survey showed that 50 percent of respondents felt that race relations were declining, an increase from 44 percent the year prior. Other polls reflected this sentiment throughout 2016, as in April, a Gallup poll showed that 35 percent of Americans were fretting “a great deal” about race relations, a record high for the Gallup survey and a sharp increase from 13 percent in 2009. In July, a New York Times/CBS poll found that 69 percent considered race relations as “generally bad”–the highest numbers since the Rodney King riots in 1992. Also in July, another Rasmussen poll found that 60 percent believed that race relations have worsened under Obama. Taken together, the polls show a serious decline in the public’s view of race relations throughout the Obama presidency.
2. The rise of Black Lives Matter and the Alt-Right. The Black Lives Matter movement is filled with hateful, cop-hating, anti-white rhetoric that has even promoted segregation. The Alt-Right is the neo-Nazi, white supremacist movement scouring the depths of the Internet that promotes their fantasy of “a white ethno-centric nation” reminiscent of Vladimir Putin’s Russia. While the two movements may seem diametrically opposed to each other at first glance, they’re essentially mirror images of each other: both are built on identity politics that divide Americans on the issue of race. They also both feed each other, as tribalism only results in further tribalism. The rise of Black Lives Matter and the Alt-Right reflects the divided state of the country in terms of race.
3. The growing frequency of race riots. During Obama’s presidency, race riots have occurred in:
- Ferguson, MO.
- Baltimore, MD.
- Charlotte, NC.
- Milwaukee, WI.
- Oakland, CA.
- Anaheim, CA.
- Los Angles, CA (twice).
- Brooklyn, NY.
- Berkeley, CA.
- St. Paul, MN.
4. The alarming increase in police officers being shot and killed. According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, there were 64 cops killed by the bullet of a gun in 2016, an increase of 56 percent from the year prior, when there were 41 cops shot and killed. There were a total of 135 police officer deaths in 2016, a record amount since 2011. This is the deadly consequence of spewing racial, anti-cop rhetoric.
5. Obama has been race-baiting throughout his presidency. Obama has stoked racial resentment and anger with the following statements:
- The cops “acted stupidly” for arresting Cambridge professor Henry Louis Gates.
- “If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon [Martin}.”
- Deaths like Freddie Gray’s have “been going on for a long time.”
- Perpetuating lies of police racism while speaking at a memorial for the slain Dallas officers.
Obama and the left’s constant race-baiting is what has caused race relations to worsen under Obama’s presidency, a fact that Obama is ignoring by falsely claiming that race-relations have improved.