‘I’ll Get Out Of Jail As Soon As I Can’: Pro-Abortion Activist In Police Custody After Spending Over 24 Hours On Top Of Bridge
Abortion-rights activist Guido Reichstadter is confronted and detained by Supreme Court Police officers after chaining himself to a security fence in front of the U.S. Supreme Court on June 6, 2022 in Washington, DC.
Drew Angerer/Getty Images

The pro-abortion activist who climbed atop the 1,445-foot Frederick Douglass Bridge in Washington, D.C., has come down and was taken into police custody Saturday after spending more than 24 hours on the structure.

Guido Reichstadter’s antics resulted in the bridge shutting down Friday morning as law enforcement officers and firemen gathered below him. The bridge finally reopened at 1:55 p.m. Saturday afternoon, ABC 7 News reported. The Metropolitan Police Department confirmed to the outlet that the activist is in police custody and facing charges.

Reichstadter uploaded a video to Instagram Saturday afternoon while still on top of the bridge, explaining that he was coming down. “This is my last transmission from the top of the bridge,” Reichstadter told his 14,000 followers.

“I look forward to speaking to everyone when I get down to the bottom. I’ll get out of jail as soon as I can,” he added. “This is not the end. This is just the beginning. The Supreme Court has declared war on the people of this country, and we have to stand up and fight for our rights,” Reichstadter said, referring to the Friday Supreme Court decision that overturned Roe v. Wade, effectively making abortion a state-level issue.

Friday morning, Reichstadter tweeted that he had made it to the top of the bridge and encouraged other pro-abortion activists to get in the streets “to nonviolently [shut] down the [government] day after day after day till Congress protects abortion rights.”

The Daily Wire’s Mary Margaret Olohan messaged Reichstadter while he walked around on top of the bridge Friday and asked him what he was doing up there.

“Getting closer to God,” the protester replied with a winky-face symbol. Reichstadter then told Olohan he would come down “any day now.”

“I found a way up, I’ll find one down I guess …” he wrote.

The Daily Wire previously reported that Reichstadter was arrested and had charges against him dropped earlier this month after he chained himself to the barrier protecting the Supreme Court. He believes that the charges against him were dropped because authorities feared that his arrest was “not a good look.”

Mary Margaret Olohan contributed to this report.

The Daily Wire   >  Read   >  ‘I’ll Get Out Of Jail As Soon As I Can’: Pro-Abortion Activist In Police Custody After Spending Over 24 Hours On Top Of Bridge