Welcome back to Education Insanity, a weekly column updating you on the most insane events taking place in our nation’s schools. Here we’ll delve into the growing presence of critical race theory, the ideology that claims that America is irredeemably rooted in racism, and “woke” culture.
Let’s get started.
10. University of Iowa College Republicans Temporarily Suspended For Chalking Outside Without Face Masks – The Daily Wire
The University of Iowa’s College Republicans were temporarily suspended for chalking outside on campus without face masks on. The school’s Office of Student Accountability placed the club on an “interim suspension” following complaints that members were unmasked.
9. Cornell Faculty To Vote On Mandated ‘Anti-Racism’ Training For Students, Staff That Teaches ‘Structural Racism,’ ‘Colonialism’ – National Review
Cornell University faculty will vote on six so-called “anti-racism” proposals, half of which relate to mandated training for students and faculty. The faculty senate was tasked with developing these plans by university president Martha Pollack in July 2020.
8. Posh La Jolla School Teaches First-Graders That Gender Is A Choice – The College Fix
The private, $30,000/year La Jolla Country Day school taught elementary schoolers that gender is fluid and a choice. Parents were allegedly not notified of the new curriculum ahead of time. The book claims, “Some people are boys. Some people are girls. Some people are both, neither, or somewhere in between.”
7. University: Charles Darwin ‘Racist’ Because Theory Of Evolution ‘Justifies White Male Superiority’ – The College Fix
A research handbook at the University of Sheffield claims that Charles Darwin “held racist views” because his theory of evolution was allegedly used to “justify white male superiority.” Darwin is among 11 scientists in the school’s “Applying a Decolonial Framework to Teaching and Research in Ecology and Evolution” guide.
6. UMass Amherst Students Suspended For Not Wearing Masks Off-Campus – CBS Boston
Three freshmen at the University of Massachusetts Amherst were suspended after the university received a picture of the trio outside without masks. The three girls were asked to study virtually and at home following their suspension. In the final week, the girls were reportedly cut off from the virtual learning facility.
5. VIRAL VIDEO: Black Woman’s Fiery Denunciation Of Critical Race Theory Before School Board – The Daily Wire
At a public meeting, a black woman in Loudoun County, Virginia, erupted in a fiery denunciation of the school board’s intent to implement critical race theory in the district’s curriculum. The district claims that it does not teach critical race theory. The mother blasted the school board saying, “You cannot tell me what is or is not racist. Look at me.”
4. Parent Infuriated After Virginia High School Allowed Student To Read Graphic Book About Oral Sex – The Daily Wire
Parents are infuriated after learning a first-year high school English class in the Loudoun County Public School district in Virginia allowed students to read a book that discussed middle-schoolers performing oral sex on one another. Students were allowed to read the book “Monday’s Not Coming,” which explores issues such as race, mental illness, sexuality, and media bias.
3. Penn State Faculty Cancels ‘Male-Centric’ ‘Junior’ And ‘Senior’ Labels – Campus Reform
Pennsylvania State University’s faculty senate passed a resolution on “inclusive language” that will rid the university of alleged paternalistic labels such as “freshmen,” “junior,” “senior,” “upperclassmen,” and “underclassmen.” On April 27, the committee passed the resolution titled, “Removal of Gendered & Binary Terms from Course and Program Descriptions.”
2. Softball Coach, Team Forced To Apologize For Wearing Sombreros On Cinco De Mayo – The Daily Wire
The Hope College softball team in Michigan sparked a firestorm on social media after the official account posted a photo of players in sombreros on Cinco de Mayo. The college denounced the post and dubbed the picture a form of cultural appropriation.
1. San Fran High School Seniors May Return To School For One Day So District Can Get $12M In COVID Relief – San Francisco Chronicle
The San Francisco United School District will welcome back the district’s high school seniors for just one day of in-person learning so that the schools can qualify for $12 million in state-based COVID-19 relief funds. Students will not receive any in-classroom instruction from a teacher. Instead, they will be “supervised” by an unnamed staff member who will help them explore career and college options.
Got tips? Email me here: firstname.lastname@example.org