On Friday, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) shut down a far-left activist group after they used children to create a scene in her office in an attempt to push alarmist climate change policies.
The Sunrise Movement, a fringe group that tries to intimidate politicians into supporting socialist Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s (D-NY) “Green New Deal,” shared a selectively edited video clip of the exchange.
“You know what’s interesting about this group?” Feinstein said. “I’ve been doing this for 30 years. I know what I’m doing.”
“You come in here, and you say it has to be my way or the highway. I don’t respond to that,” Feinstein continued. “I’ve gotten elected, I just ran. I was elected by almost a million-vote plurality. And I know what I’m doing. So you know, maybe people should listen a little bit.”
One particular exchange drew a lot of laughs on social media:
ACTIVIST: I hear what you’re saying, but we’re the people who voted you. You’re supposed to listen to us, that’s your job.
FEINSTEIN: How old are you?
ACTIVIST: I’m 16, I can’t vote.
FEINSTEIN: Well, you didn’t vote for me.
The Green New Deal is a far-left plan designed to implement government control over large portions of the U.S. economy that Manhattan Institute Senior Fellow Brian Riedl has estimated could potentially cost up to approximately $100 trillion.
The reaction online to the video was split, with those on the political left — many of whom attacked the Covington Catholic kids for smiling at a Native American — declaring that Feinstein was being rude to the children who were being disruptive in her office.
Aside from the faux outrage from leftists, many loved Feinstein’s reaction or were disturbed by the fringe group’s use of children to push political agendas:
- David Harsanyi tweeted: “This group teaches kids — the luckiest, wealthiest, healthiest generation to ever live — that they are living through ‘dark time.’ These ppl are dangerous cultists.”
- Buck Sexton tweeted: “Senator Feinstein refused to be lectured and bullied by a mob of brainwashed tweens on the insanely stupid Green New Deal. Good for her.”
- Sebastian Gorka tweeted: “Cult.”
- Jason Rantz tweeted: “When an adult uses a bunch of brainwashed kids to push propaganda. And the media eats it up.”
- Tom Fitton tweeted: “Disturbed by the automaton-like leftist using the children to advance the communist green proposal.”
- Tom Nichols tweeted: “I know this is bad retail politics, but man, I love seeing Feinstein telling off a bunch of kids – and I’m not even kidding.”
- Josh Jordan tweeted: “I love Feinstein now after watching this video.”
- Stephen Miller tweeted: “‘Santa isn’t real, kid, now GTFO of my office. It’s Friday.'”
- Mark Hemingway tweeted: “Look, you might as well disabuse kids of the notion that politics will save us sooner rather than later.”
- Eric Weinstein tweeted: “Not at all. @SenFeinstein said ‘no’ both politely & firmly to adorable children attempting to pressure her with cameras rolling by creating an awkward moment fit for a news cycle. My rabbi @noakushner is loved for telling our young ones “Oh that’s so beautiful…but also wrong.”