On Monday, 22-year-old Salman Abedi blew himself up at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England. The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) claimed responsibility for the terrorist attack which killed 23 and injured dozens more.
In newly-released cell phone footage from inside the arena, concert goers are in good spirits just before a loud boom thunders through the hall, setting off screams and panic:
According to the Telegraph, Abedi was “born in Manchester in 1994, the second youngest of four children. His parents were Libyan refugees who came to the UK to escape the Gaddafi regime.”
As CBS News reports, Abedi was known to British authorities prior to the attack; so far one man has been arrested in connection with the bombing.
Manchester police confirmed the arrest of a 23-year-old man in the southern Chorlton neighborhood of the city on Tuesday morning. The suspect taken into custody was not identified, but police said the arrest was linked to the bombing. Witnesses said the man was smiling as he was apprehended.
Police also confirmed that officers had conducted a controlled explosion at the scene of a separate raid connected to the arena attack in the Fallowfield neighborhood, in south Manchester
In response to the tragedy, Ariana Grande canceled the rest of her world tour and tweeted out:
On Tuesday, ISIS released a video stating: “In the name of Allah the merciful, the grateful, this is only the beginning.The lions of the Islamic State are beginning to attack all the crusaders. Allahu akbar. Allahu akbar.”