He said he would, so now he is.
President Trump and his administration are moving forward with cutting off taxpayer funds to Planned Parenthood, which performs hundreds of thousands of abortions each year.
This week, the Department of Health and Human Services issued a new regulation that will cut off $50 million in taxpayer money to the organization — although Planned Parenthood will still haul in nearly half a billion dollars.
The regulation actually clarifies a rule long in place.
“Section 1008 of the Act contains the following prohibition, which has not been altered since it was enacted in 1970: None of the funds appropriated under this title shall be used in programs where abortion is a method of family planning,” says the rule.
“The Conference Report described the intent of this provision as follows: It is, and has been, the intent of both Houses that funds authorized under this legislation be used only to support preventive family planning services, population research, infertility services and other related medical, information, and educational activities. The conferees have adopted the language contained in section 1008, which prohibits the use of such funds for abortion, in order to make clear this intent.”
The new rule would also bar lobbying for political purposes by the nation’s largest abortion provider. The group spends tens of millions of dollars each year backing liberal candidates.
Trump touted his pro-life bona fides during a gala hosted by the Susan B. Anthony List last week.
“For the first time since Roe v. Wade, America has a pro-life president, a pro-life vice president, a pro-life House and 25 pro-life state capitals,” Trump said in his speech. “I’ve kept my promise to stand for life. When I ran for office, I pledged to stand for life. That’s exactly what I’ve done.”
And Trump praised the new rule, calling it “historic.”
“For decades, American taxpayers have been wrongfully forced to subsidize the abortion industry through Title X federal funding,” Trump said Tuesday night. “Today, we have kept another promise. My administration has proposed a new rule to prohibit Title X funding from going to any clinic that performs abortions.”
Planned Parenthood is suing the federal government over the rule. “This is the worst attack on women’s health and rights we’ve seen from the Trump-Pence administration,” Planned Parenthood executive vice president Dawn Laguens said in a statement.