Disgraced actor Jussie Smollett became a convicted felon on Thursday evening after a jury found him guilty on 5 out of 6 felony disorderly conduct charges stemming from a hate crime hoax that he staged on himself in 2019.
“He was found guilty of telling a police officer he was a hate crime victim, telling an officer he was a battery victim, telling a detective he was a hate crime victim, telling a detective he was a battery victim and then telling a detective again he was battery victim,” Fox News reported. “He was not found guilty on a sixth charge of telling a second detective he was an aggravated battery victim.”
Numerous top Democrats rushed to pounce on Smollett’s initial claims that he had been attacked by purported Trump supporters.
The top 10 Democrats that promoted the convicted felon’s hate crime hoax on Twitter back in 2019 included:
- President Joe Biden: “What happened today to @JussieSmollett must never be tolerated in this country. We must stand up and demand that we no longer give this hate safe harbor; that homophobia and racism have no place on our streets or in our hearts. We are with you, Jussie.”
- Vice President Kamala Harris: “@JussieSmollett is one of the kindest, most gentle human beings I know. I’m praying for his quick recovery. This was an attempted modern day lynching. No one should have to fear for their life because of their sexuality or color of their skin. We must confront this hate.”
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi [now-deleted]: “The racist, homophobic attack on @JussieSmollett is an affront to our humanity. No one should be attacked for who they are or whom they love. I pray that Jussie has a speedy recovery & that justice is served. May we all commit to ending this hate once & for all.”
- Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg: “While the struggle for basic hate crime legislation continues here in Indiana, this horrible attack calls all Americans to stand against hatred and violence in all its forms.”
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY): “There is no such thing as ‘racially charged.’ This attack was not ‘possibly’ homophobic. It was a racist and homophobic attack. If you don’t like what is happening to our country, then work to change it. It is no one’s job to water down or sugar-coat the rise of hate crimes.”
- California Governor Gavin Newsom: “This kind of violence should be unacceptable. We cannot continue to allow racism, homophobia, transphobia, anti-semitism, or any other form of hate continue to drive violence in our country.”
- Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA): “Jussie is my friend – a very talented & beautiful human being. It is so hurtful that homophobic haters would dare hurt someone so loving and giving. I’m dedicated to finding the culprits and bringing them to justice. Jussie did not deserve to be harmed by anyone!”
- Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA): “What happened to Jussie Smollett is vile and tragic; thankfully, he will recover. But hate crimes like this are happening more frequently, egged on by careless hate-filled rhetoric. We start reducing these crimes by rejecting the speech – neither can ever be accepted as normal.”
- Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ): “The vicious attack on actor Jussie Smollett was an attempted modern-day lynching. I’m glad he’s safe. To those in Congress who don’t feel the urgency to pass our Anti-Lynching bill designating lynching as a federal hate crime– I urge you to pay attention.”
- Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA): “I met @JussieSmollett at the Pride Parade in Los Angeles, and I’ve seen the passion and moral clarity of his activism first hand. This week he was the victim of an horrific attack. We pray for your speedy recovery, Jussie, and reject this act of hatred and bigotry.”
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.