Texas Governor Greg Abbott (R) announced Tuesday that he invoked the Invasion Clauses of the U.S. and Texas Constitutions to deal with President Joe Biden’s (D) immigration crisis on the southern border.
The announcement comes after the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) released new numbers showing that for Fiscal Year 2022, which ended in September, there were nearly 2.4 million illegal aliens detained on the U.S.-Mexico border.
“I invoked the Invasion Clauses of the U.S. & Texas Constitutions to fully authorize Texas to take unprecedented measures to defend our state against an invasion,” Abbott said. “I’m using that constitutional authority, & other authorization & Executive Orders to keep our state & country safe.”
Abbott announced the following steps that the state of Texas would take to address the problem:
- Deploy the National Guard to safeguard the border, and to repel and turn back immigrants trying to cross the border illegally;
- Deploy the Texas Dept. of Public Safety (DPS) to arrest and return immigrants to the border who crossed illegally, and to arrest illegal immigrants for criminal activity;
- Build a wall in multiple counties on the border;
- Deploy gun boats;
- Designate Mexican drug cartels as foreign terrorist organizations;
- Enter into a compact with other states to secure the border;
- Enter into agreements with foreign powers to enhance border security;
- Provide resources for border counties to increase their efforts to respond to the “border invasion.”
I invoked the Invasion Clauses of the U.S. & Texas Constitutions to fully authorize Texas to take unprecedented measures to defend our state against an invasion.
I'm using that constitutional authority, & other authorization & Executive Orders to keep our state & country safe: pic.twitter.com/2Jt5HEMgp5
— Greg Abbott (@GregAbbott_TX) November 15, 2022
Abbott’s announcement comes after he trounced Democrat Robert Francis O’Rourke, often referred to as “Beto,” in last week’s midterm election by 11 points.
“I ran this campaign for the Texans who want safer streets,” Abbott said after winning. “For the homeowners burdened with skyrocketing property taxes. For the oil field workers who begged me to protect their livelihoods. For parents who want to choose the school that’s best for their child. For the ranchers and residents who pleaded for a secure border.”
“Texas must continue our unprecedented efforts to secure our border,” he added. “Tonight Texans sending a resounding message that we want to keep Texas the beacon of opportunity that we have provided for the past eight years.”
This report has been updated to include additional information.
Related: Governor Abbott To The Biden Admin: ‘If They Will Not Go To The Border, We’re Taking The Border To Them’