The decade's most triggering comedy
Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) warned voters on Wednesday that Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA), who was selected this week to be presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden’s running mate, is not the moderate that the media claims that she is.
“Kamala is my colleague, so I want to congratulate her. I think she is very personable,” Kennedy said. “She’s very smart, she’s very aggressive, and she’s very liberal. I think of Kamala, I would describe her as Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez but smarter and without the bartending experience. She’ll be a very formidable candidate.”
When asked if he viewed Biden-Harris as a “moderating influence” on the direction of the party, Kennedy responded, “No.”
“Vice President Biden has promised to be the most liberal president in history if he’s elected, and toward that end I think he picked the right running mate because Senator Harris is very, very, very liberal,” Kennedy continued. “I think they represent the new Democratic Party, which I think has clearly moved to the left, I don’t think that’s particularly a newsflash for anyone.”
“I think they both believe we’re one tax increase away from prosperity and they will massively raise taxes,” Kennedy continued. “I think they’re both very pro-abortion, they think that the border is a nuisance. I think in terms of our enemies across the world, they think we need to be more understanding. I don’t think they believe that weakness invites the wolves, as I do.”
“Harris is a full-spectrum progressive who supports a far-left economic, social, and national security agenda,” The Daily Wire reported in an in-depth analysis of Harris’ political stances last fall. “She is fiercely defensive of abortion rights, supports curtailing Second Amendment rights, supports single-payer/’Medicare for All’ health insurance, supports marijuana legalization, and favors sanctuary cities and other sovereignty-undermining, pro-amnesty immigration policies.”
Other stances highlighted in the piece include:
- Constitution: Harris was sometimes floated as a possible U.S. Supreme Court nominee while serving as California attorney general during the Obama administration. She is a legal progressive, notably assisting on a U.S. Supreme Court amicus brief in 2008 that argued that Washington, D.C.’s highly restrictive anti-handgun law — later invalidated in the landmark decision of D.C. v. Heller — did not violate the Second Amendment. Harris also refused to defend California’s erstwhile conjugal marriage law as attorney general. Her proposed “Reproductive Rights Act,” which is modeled after the 1965 Voting Rights Act, would subjugate many states to the whims of the federal government and would radically invert the original Madisonian conception of federalism. As a member of the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee during President Trump’s nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court, Harris came out in full support of accuser Christine Blasey Ford and opposed Kavanaugh’s nomination.
- Economy: Harris supports tax hikes on wealthier Americans and subscribes to much of the “zero-sum”/”class warfare”-inspired rhetoric that imbues contemporary leftist economic thinking. She supports expanding the Earned Income Tax Credit, which many conservative economic policy wonks would prefer to see phased out and replaced with a low-income wage subsidy. She supports a robust governmental role for regulation of the financial services industry.
- Health Care: Harris supports single-payer/”Medicare for All,” which effectively amounts to a governmental takeover of medicine in America. She has called for the total elimination of private health insurance, although she has recently equivocated on total elimination. She has supported legislation that would increase Obamacare subsidies.
- Immigration: Harris has vocally supported the criminal alien-harboring sanctuary city policies of her home state of California, and has taken a hard line in support of the DREAM Act and other amnesty legislative initiatives that would undermine America’s sovereignty and empower brutal Mexican cartels and human trafficking rings. She has been a consistently harsh critic of the Trump administration’s attempts to secure our border amidst a hitherto unprecedented influx of Central American migrants.
- Foreign Policy: Harris has been relatively supportive of Israel, within the broader context of the increasingly anti-Israel Democratic Party, but she still personally boycotted AIPAC’s 2019 national policy conference. Harris opposed President Donald Trump’s removal of the U.S. from President Barack Obama’s Iran nuclear deal and has consistently voiced opposition to continued military aid for Saudi Arabia, Iran’s chief regional nemesis. She supports a more robust congressional role, and a decreased role for the presidency, in the sphere of foreign relations and military action abroad.
- Abortion: Harris is emphatically pro-abortion and supports ending the Hyde Amendment, which has historically banned taxpayer funding of abortion. Harris strongly supports Roe v. Wade and has proposed a dubiously constitutional “Reproductive Rights Act” that would attempt to secure abortion rights via a similar legal mechanism that the 1965 Voting Rights Act utilized to advance voting rights.
- Guns: Harris is a consistent supporter of anti-gun policies that would restrict American’s free exercise of their Second Amendment rights. She has promised to unilaterally advance amorphous “executive actions” on guns if she were elected to the presidency. Harris supports a ban on the undefinable sub-class of firearms referred to as so-called “assault weapons” — a line of thought that, if taken to its logical conclusion, could lead to the banning of all semi-automatic firearms in America. Harris has also endorsed 2020 rival Beto O’Rourke’s gun confiscation plan.
This article has been expanded after publication to include additional information.