Premieres 12/1 at 8pm ET
Watch exclusively on DailyWire+
A Los Angeles jury has awarded $1.5 million to prosecutor Shawn Randolph after she claimed that District Attorney George Gascon retaliated against her for questioning his policies.
According to the suit Randolph filed in October of 2021, she was given a transfer that she claimed was punitive after she raised questions about Gascon’s criminal justice reform policies – policies that critics have said amount to him simply being “soft” on crime.
Fox News National correspondent Bill Melugin shared the update in a tweet, noting that Randolph’s lawsuit was one of many such suits accusing Gascon’s office of retaliation.
“BREAKING: A Los Angeles jury has just awarded prosecutor Shawn Randolph $1.5 million after she sued DA @GeorgeGascon, alleging retaliation & punitive transfer after speaking out against his policies. This verdict is the first of 17 lawsuits against Gascon alleging retaliation,” Melugin tweeted.
In early 2021 when I still worked at @FOXLA, L.A. County quietly settled with prosecutor Richard Doyle for a sum in the high six figures the day after I aired an investigation about Gascon’s alleged retaliation against Doyle for refusing to drop an https://t.co/pC0AdfFpqZ… https://t.co/rfSml8ZNac
— Bill Melugin (@BillFOXLA) March 7, 2023
Melugin went on to note that another prosecutor — Richard Doyle — had filed a similar suit against Gascon’s office that was settled quietly for a six-figure payout in 2021. Doyle claimed that he had been transferred after objecting to Gascon’s decision to drop a case involving three people who had attempted to wreck a train during an anti-police protest.
Melugin’s tweet triggered a response from Twitter owner Elon Musk, who asked whether Gascon was the villain from “Beauty and the Beast — only to be quickly corrected by former Trump attorney and adviser Jenna Ellis.
— Jenna Ellis 🇺🇸 (@JennaEllisEsq) March 7, 2023
Gascon’s office released a statement following Monday’s verdict — which was published in a report from CBS News — maintaining that everything they had done had been above-board and in an effort to serve the best interests of the people. The statement also left the door open for a possible future appeal.
“We are disappointed by the jury’s verdict, and stand by our decision to reassign this and other attorneys to new positions within the office,” Gascon’s office said in a statement. “As any manager will tell you, moving around personnel in order to improve the level of representation this community receives is absolutely critical to a functioning office. We will consider our options over the next several days.”