NBA star Lebron James deleted a tweet shortly after posting it on Wednesday that appeared to demonize a police officer who saved a black girl from being stabbed. James deleted the tweet after it quickly sparked widespread backlash.
James, a left-wing Democrat activist, tweeted out a photograph of the police officer, writing, “YOU’RE NEXT. #ACCOUNTABILITY.” James included an emoji of an hour glass, which is used to signify that time is running out.
— Guy Benson (@guypbenson) April 21, 2021
Michael Woods, the interim police chief of Columbus, said at a press conference that video of the incident showed “the female with the knife,” who the police officer shot and killed, was “attempting to stab” another female in the video.
Below are some of the comments that notable figures made in response to James’ tweet:
- Kmele Foster: “Narrative Commitments + Retribution > Facts + Effectual Reforms This is a recipe for savagery, not #Accountability”
- Dana Loesch: “Apparently the life of the girl nearly stabbed to death didn’t matter.”
- Tom Cotton: “Lebron James is inciting violence against an Ohio police officer. This is disgraceful and dangerous. Is the NBA okay with this? Is Twitter?”
- Clay Travis: “Did you even watch the video, bud? He shot a woman armed with a knife trying to kill an unarmed person! Here’s his perspective. This is even more shameful than you shutting up and dribbling for your boy Chairman Xi in China.”
- Benjamin Weingarten: “A very responsible Chinese asset.”
- Megyn Kelly: “How dare you? This is disgusting & dangerous. He saved the life of a young Black woman under attack. This is incredibly irresponsible.”
- Mark Davis: “Officer who protected a girl from getting stabbed is now the subject of a terrorist threat from America’s most famous athlete. Nice to see the #DerekChauvin verdict calmed everybody down. This is contemptible.”
- Caleb Hull: “He saved a girl’s life from being shanked, but I guess her black life didn’t matter to you?”
- Logan Hall: “The NBA should fine lebron thousands for every minute this tweet remains active. #accountability”
- Bryan Dean Wright: “Things are going to get horrifically worse in this country before they get better.”
- Sean Davis: “Nothing to see here, just the Chinese Communist Party’s favorite illiterate apparatchik trying to incite the assassination of a police officer who saved a girl from being stabbed to death.”
- John Gage: “This is basically LeBron putting a hit out on this officer’s head. Blood on his hands if something happens to this officer or his family.”
- The Daily Caller: “Working class police Officer targeted by billionaire professional athlete because he didn’t let someone be stabbed to death.”
- Jason Rantz: “LeBron James is a bad person who masquerades as a hero.”
Sports commentator Jason Whitlock responded to James’ tweet by writing: “LeBron James, like other elites, is using racial division as a distraction as elites reshape America to be more like communist China. Elites prefer communism. Millionaire elites are protected by communism. They’re the ‘Talented Tenth’ W.E.B. Du Bois promoted. You’re being played.”
“Du Bois = communist elite. Communism = hostile to all religion. Communism makes it nearly impossible to rise above your birth class. Maybe you’ll hit genetics lottery and become a pro athlete… Democracy-capitalism-freedom-America more class elevation than any other country,” Whitlock continued. “What we’re experiencing isn’t a racial conflict. Race is being used to divide and fool the 90% of us who have foolishly come to take American freedom for granted. The elites are imposing rigged communist system. I come from nothing. Only in America. #DonKingWasRight[.]”
LeBron James, like other elites, is using racial division as a distraction as elites reshape America to be more like communist China. Elites prefer communism. Millionaire elites are protected by communism. They're the "Talented Tenth" W.E.B. Du Bois promoted. You're being played.
— Jason Whitlock (@WhitlockJason) April 21, 2021
What we're experiencing isn't a racial conflict. Race is being used to divide and fool the 90% of us who have foolishly come to take American freedom for granted. The elites are imposing rigged communist system. I come from nothing. Only in America. #DonKingWasRight
— Jason Whitlock (@WhitlockJason) April 21, 2021
Other negative backlash included the following tweets:
gotta hand it to lebron: he is consistently despicable. just total dedication to being one of the worst people alive. i admire his drive. https://t.co/w20Occrjao
— tsar becket adams (@BecketAdams) April 21, 2021
I had to look three times to confirm that LeBron James tweet is real.
We’re in dangerous territory, America.
— Steve Krakauer (@SteveKrak) April 21, 2021
I'm begging to think LeBron James is dangerous hypocrite with no moral center.
— Mark Hemingway (@Heminator) April 21, 2021
Suffice it to say we’ve come a long way from Michael Jordan’s “Republicans buy sneakers, too” quip to LeBron James putting a fairly literal target on the back of a police officer who refused to let a teenage girl get stabbed to death.
— Josh Hammer (@josh_hammer) April 21, 2021
“When you’re misinformed or you’re not educated about something, and I’m just talking about the tweet itself, you never know the ramifications that can happen,” LeBron James once said. Interesting idea.
— Sonny Bunch (@SonnyBunch) April 21, 2021
This is obscene. LeBron James is putting a target on the back of a heroic cop who just saved the life of a black girl. How about you just say "thanks, Officer" and go back into your gilded cocoon, you privileged, race-baiting a-hole? https://t.co/pD6UHCSB2x
— Gerry Callahan (@GerryCallahan) April 21, 2021
LeBron literally encouraging a hit job.@TwitterSafety
— John Gage (@johnrobertgage) April 21, 2021
This should settle the Jordan-LeBron debate for good. Jordan is the GOAT, LeBron is second-rate CCP shill. https://t.co/xCgRUxsyqZ
— John Daniel Davidson (@johnddavidson) April 21, 2021
disgusting but unsurprising https://t.co/75ZtWxZQ0h
— Guy Benson (@guypbenson) April 21, 2021
— Will Cain (@willcain) April 21, 2021
LeBron James is now sharing a picture of the Columbus police officer who shot the woman wielding a knife and attacking another woman.
With zero regard for facts, he’s solely focused on dividing the country. Total scumbag. https://t.co/Ymxk3xeEJs
— Caleb Hull (@CalebJHull) April 21, 2021
LeBron would have tweeted this same thing if the cop had just sat there while a girl was stabbed https://t.co/W6alv5zT2T
— Chuck Ross (@ChuckRossDC) April 21, 2021
Remember, just because someone is famous & rich does not mean they are smart. https://t.co/be43AFiTBI
— LB (@beyondreasdoubt) April 21, 2021
For saving someone’s life, he gets a target painted on his back by one of the most famous people on earth https://t.co/PkC73fupjR
— Leon Wolf (@LeonHWolf) April 21, 2021
— Allahpundit (@allahpundit) April 21, 2021
LeBron James is upset a cop didn’t let a person get stabbed. Why would anyone want to be a police officer when you get criticized for saving a life?
Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. https://t.co/qqor6tThHc
— David Hookstead (@dhookstead) April 21, 2021
So this cop likely saved a young African American girl's life (at least saved her from severe bodily harm) and @KingJames wants accountability?
OK… Is he going to give him a medal? https://t.co/e4WgvOeXiF
— Pradheep J. Shanker (@Neoavatara) April 21, 2021
What an incredible time. Why would cops even respond at this point ? https://t.co/LNwtZOuspm
— Rob Schmitt (@SchmittNYC) April 21, 2021
Everybody is rightly calling out LeBron for being a CCP stooge, and this fits that role perfectly.
This is precisely the kind of divisive trash that Xi Jinping wants America focused on. https://t.co/v7glDKv1ce
— Vince Coglianese (@VinceCoglianese) April 21, 2021
— Dana Loesch (@DLoesch) April 21, 2021
— Peace Promoter Poso (@JackPosobiec) April 21, 2021
LeBron James has joined the pile on against the Columbus police officer who shot & killed a teen girl just as she was about to stab another girl with a knife. https://t.co/K7avRsI29j
— Jerry Dunleavy (@JerryDunleavy) April 21, 2021
Imagine if @kingjames used his platform to promote universal humanist values decoupled from tribal racial politics. Imagine if he channeled his inner MLK instead of offering justifications for China's abhorrent treatment of its citizens. Mr. James, you have no moral compass. https://t.co/suE11xIZoW
— Gad Saad (@GadSaad) April 21, 2021
NBD just LeBron threatening someone's life and supporting a black teenager being allowed to somehow legally stab people to death. https://t.co/brSwm2f80B
— Curtis Houck (@CurtisHouck) April 21, 2021
— Dan Gainor (@dangainor) April 21, 2021
This seems wildly inappropriate. https://t.co/4pbFFUzKdK
— BiasedGirl (@BiasedGirl) April 21, 2021
You are a buffoon. He saved a black girl from being murdered. Believe me he will not even lose his job for it. He did his job. You should be in prison for endangering this man's life. Give up your police protection LeBron. Then you can allow teens to stab you if you want. https://t.co/TIGVc2h7n5
— Carmine Sabia (@CarmineSabia) April 21, 2021
Incredibly irresponsible. https://t.co/MPxRNh7bgu
— Annie Frey (@anniefreyshow) April 21, 2021
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.