KC Shooting Had ‘No Nexus To Terrorism,’ Appeared To Be ‘Dispute Between Several People’: Police
KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI - FEBRUARY 14: Law enforcement responds to a shooting at Union Station during the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl LVIII victory parade on February 14, 2024 in Kansas City, Missouri. Several people were shot and two people were detained after a rally celebrating the Chiefs Super Bowl victory.
Jamie Squire/Getty Images

The shooting at the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl parade on Wednesday that killed one person and injured more than 20 others appeared to stem from a personal dispute and had no connection to terrorism, according to the Kansas City, Missouri, Police Department.

Gunfire erupted near Union Station downtown during the parade, causing mass panic as many people ran and ducked for cover. KC Police Chief Stacey Graves said at a news conference on Thursday that authorities’ initial findings “have shown there was no nexus to terrorism or homegrown violent extremism.”

“This appeared to be a dispute between several people that ended in gunfire,” she said.

Graves added that authorities learned overnight that there were 23 victims of Wednesday’s shooting. The police chief also confirmed that 43-year-old Lisa Lopez-Galvan died from gunshot wounds.

“We are still learning about her, but know that she is beloved by many,” Graves said. “To her friends and family, we are with you, and we are working tirelessly to investigate her murder.”

At least half of the Kansas City shooting victims were under 16 years old, with the youngest being eight, according to Graves.

“As mentioned yesterday, we have subjects detained, two of which are juveniles,” she added. “We are working to determine the involvement of others.”

The victims include nine children who were treated for gunshot wounds at Children’s Mercy Hospital and are all expected to recover, a spokesman for the hospital said.


Police have detained three people following the shooting along with recovering firearms, but are asking for more witnesses to come forward with information as they continue to investigate. Authorities have not publicly identified any suspects as of Thursday afternoon.

More than 800 law enforcement officers were in and around Union Station when the shots rang out. Video posted on social media showed multiple parade goers tackling a man who was running through the crowd immediately after the shooting. The bystanders pinned the man down for around 30 seconds before police officers arrived. One witness also said she saw a gun fall away from the man as he was tackled to the ground.

Graves said it remains unclear if the man tackled in the viral video is “one of the three” people detained by authorities.

Create a free account to join the conversation!

Already have an account?

Log in

Got a tip worth investigating?

Your information could be the missing piece to an important story. Submit your tip today and make a difference.

Submit Tip
Download Daily Wire Plus

Don't miss anything

Download our App

Stay up-to-date on the latest
news, podcasts, and more.

Download on the app storeGet it on Google Play
The Daily Wire   >  Read   >  KC Shooting Had ‘No Nexus To Terrorism,’ Appeared To Be ‘Dispute Between Several People’: Police