Rep. Cori Bush (D-MO) faced backlash online on Monday evening following remarks that she made on social media, claiming that white supremacists shot at her in Ferguson, Missouri, following the 2014 death of Michael Brown Jr.
“When we marched in Ferguson, white supremacists would hide behind a hill near where Michael Brown Jr. was murdered and shoot at us,” Bush tweeted. “They never faced consequences. If Kyle Rittenhouse gets acquitted, it tells them that even 7 years later they still can get away with it.”
Bush’s claim that Brown was murdered is false, as The Washington Post’s fact-check previously reported:
[Kamala] Harris and [Elizabeth] Warren have ignored the findings of the Justice Department to accuse [police officer Darren] Wilson of murder, even though the Justice Department found no credible evidence to support that claim. Instead, the Justice Department found that the popular narrative was wrong, according to witnesses deemed to be credible, some of whom testified reluctantly because of fear of reprisal. The department produced a comprehensive report to determine what happened, making the senators’ dismissal of it even more galling. Harris and Warren both earn Four Pinocchios.
Ferguson Police Chief Frank McCall Jr. said on Monday that he was not aware of any record of such an incident occurring, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
When we marched in Ferguson, white supremacists would hide behind a hill near where Michael Brown Jr. was murdered and shoot at us.
They never faced consequences.
If Kyle Rittenhouse gets acquitted, it tells them that even 7 years later they still can get away with it.
— Cori Bush (@CoriBush) November 15, 2021
Some notable responses included:
- Chris Barron, political strategist: “How about the GOP members of Congress grow a spine and introduce a resolution to censure Cori Bush for lying and attempting to intimidate a jury.”
- Dan McLaughlin, National Review: “Did you file a police report?”
- Greg Pollowitz, Twitchy: “Merrick Garland should open up an investigation to find out why ~checks notes~ Eric Holder didn’t do anything about this.”
- Ellen Carmichael, writer: “Were you marching with Jussie Smollet?”
- Kurt Schlichter, attorney and columnist: “Shut up, liar.”
- John Cardillo, political commentator: “This is an absolute lie. I guarantee this never happened. @CoriBush is a sitting Congresswoman blatantly lying to the American people to stoke rioting and looting. She could not be worse if she tried.”
- Ian Miles Cheong, writer: “This is incitement.”
- David Marcus, writer: “This should be fully investigated immediately.”
- Guy Benson, Fox News: “This is wild — a falsehood, a dodgy/unsubstantiated allegation, and a baseless non sequitur.”
- Larry O’Connor, radio host: “I could be wrong… But I’m pretty sure there were plenty of sympathetic reporters covering the Ferguson marches. I’d think if ‘white supremacists’ were taking pot shots at protesters it might have made the news.”
- Harry Khachatrian, writer: “Is Cori Bush saying they were using WMDs.”
- Matt Walsh, The Daily Wire: “They never faced consequences for the same reason that Magneto and the Joker never faced consequences. They’re all fictional. A sitting US congresswoman is claiming that armed white supremacists were shooting at people in the middle of a city and it never made the news and no witnesses noticed. This is the kind of brazen lie you can only get from the Left. She knows she won’t be called on it.”
- Jesse Kelly, radio host: “I bet those were the same snipers who shot at Hillary!”
- Tulsi Gabbard: This Is Where The Far-Left’s ‘Darkness’ Comes From
- Joe Manchin Takes High Road In Response To Cori Bush Suggesting He’s Racist For Opposing Biden Agenda
- Cori Bush Unloads On Senator Joe Manchin: He’s ‘Anti-Black, Anti-Child, Anti-Woman, Anti-Immigrant’
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.