Performer Kid Rock claims that he can’t be canceled — because he doesn’t ‘give a f***” —and that he loves it when people try to cancel him anyway.
The artist sat down with Fox News host Tucker Carlson for an interview that is set to air on Monday — and Carlson asked why, as celebrities were routinely being “canceled” for things they had said or done years earlier, he did not appear to be bothered by that trend in the least.
“Nothing is off the table,” Carlson said of the interview. “You’ll see part of the fascinating discussion Monday on Tucker Carlson Tonight at 8pm ET on Fox News.”
The legendary Kid Rock sits down with Tucker for a rare one-on-one interview. And nothing is off the table. You’ll see part of the fascinating discussion Monday on Tucker Carlson Tonight at 8pm ET on Fox News. pic.twitter.com/5ZU9rIb5Vj
— Tucker Carlson (@TuckerCarlson) March 19, 2022
Carlson began by asking why Kid Rock believed that he hadn’t been canceled yet — in spite of the fact that he had been a vocal supporter of former President Donald Trump and continued to speak his mind no matter what the people around him might think.
“Why haven’t you been canceled? Like, people aren’t allowed to say what they think. You are,” Carlson mused.
“I am uncancelable,” Kid Rock replied.
“Why’s that?” Carlson pressed.
“I don’t give a f***,” Kid Rock said with a laugh, prompting a chuckle from Carlson as well.
The musician went on to argue that because he remained fiercely independent — he did not have corporate sponsorship deals to protect or a record company telling him he had to toe the line — he had the freedom to say what he wanted without fear of repercussions.
“I’m not in bed with any big corporate things at the end of the day,” he explained. “There’s nobody I’m beholden to. No record companies, no corporate interests, no nothing. You can’t cancel me. I love it when they try.”
And attempts have certainly been made to “cancel” Kid Rock. Just last year, in June of 2021, Billboard published a list of the musician’s infractions.
Among them were:
- 2004: He cut a hole in an American flag and then wore it as a poncho during the Super Bowl halftime show.
- 2006: A sex tape was leaked featuring Kid Rock, Creed frontman Scott Stapp, and four women.
- 2007: He engaged in a fistfight with Tommy Lee, ostensibly over their shared connection to former “Baywatch” bombshell Pamela Anderson.
- 2011: He defended displaying the Confederate flag, saying that he had never done so “with hate in my heart.”
- 2015: He went hunting with rocker Ted Nugent and shot a cougar.
- 2015: He verbally attacked director Michael Moore and actor Seth Rogen over comments about “American Sniper.”
- 2016: He criticized former San Francisco 49er Colin Kaepernick for kneeling during the national anthem.
- 2016: He sold pro-Trump merchandise.
- 2017: He made “transphobic” comments, claiming that “whatever you have between your legs should determine the bathroom that you use.”
- 2018: He got booted from a Nashville Christmas parade for insulting “The View” host Joy Behar: “I would say, love everybody … except screw that Joy Behar bi***.”
Despite all that, Kid Rock has continued to perform and create new music. His latest offering, an album titled “Bad Reputation,” drops Monday.