The Air Force Academy announced on Tuesday that a black cadet who was supposedly the victim of racial slurs was, in fact, responsible for writing the racial slurs.
Officials said the cadet admitted to being behind the racist messages that appeared outside the doors of five black cadets’ rooms, KMGH-ABC reported.
Although the student’s name was not released, officials indicated that the individual is no longer at the school — but declined to say if the student was expelled or left voluntarily.
The Air Force Academy started an investigation into the incident when reports first surfaced in September.
“There is absolutely no place in our Air Force for racism. It’s not who we are, nor will we tolerate it in any shape or fashion,” Lt. Gen. Jay Silveria, superintendent of the U.S. Air Force Academy, said. “I’ve said it before, the area of dignity and respect is my red line. Let me be clear; it won’t be crossed without significant repercussions.”
A similar incident happened last week when an African American man alleged that someone wrote racial slurs all over his car — when he was the one who wrote the slurs. The man, 21-year-old Dauntarius Williams, came forward and admitted that he staged the entire event.