California Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom was slammed on Friday afternoon over his remarks on the outcome of the Kyle Rittenhouse trial.
A jury acquitted Rittenhouse on all charges stemming from a shooting during a riot in Kenosha, Wisconsin, last year where Rittenhouse killed two men and injured a third.
“America today: you can break the law, carry around weapons built for a military, shoot and kill people, and get away with it,” Newsom claimed on Twitter. “That’s the message we’ve just sent to armed vigilantes across the nation.”
Top responses to Newsom’s remarks included:
- Ben Shapiro, The Daily Wire: “America today: you can lock down your entire citizenry while supping at the French Laundry, and then win two-thirds of a recall vote.”
- David Harsanyi, National Review: “The AR-15 is not built for any military, but go on.”
- Phil Kerpen, columnist: “Note: Liars like Gavin are the source of this message.”
- Kevin Kiley, California legislator: “Gavin Newsom is already attacking the Rittenhouse jury. Ordinary citizens reaching a decision based on evidence and the law goes against everything he stands for.”
- Michael. D. Brown, former DHS under secretary: “Ignorance. He didn’t break any law. The AR-15 is a commonplace weapon (think #2A) and apparently he doesn’t believe in the natural law of self-defense. No wonder CA is a s-hole state. Might as well be an s-hole country.”
- Dustin Penner, former NHL player: “I hope everybody realizes what a POS this guy is. If he actually watched the trial he wouldn’t come to this ignorant conclusion. He’s purposely drumming up tension…”
- Will Reeve Jr., reporter: “The US Constitution isn’t hyperbole. It isn’t yours to destroy & exploit for personal gain. A man has every right to protect himself from great personal injury or death by using the 2nd amendment. If you hate the constitution you serve under so overtly, it is time to step away.”
- California College Republicans: “No laws broken (Read: ‘Not Guilty’). Perhaps you should focus on proper policing and law and order so there’s not a need for self-defense against rioters, @GavinNewsom. But instead, you let violent criminals free into our communities.”
- Tomi Lahren, Fox News: “You’re talking about rioters & thugs who destroyed America all summer 2020 (and ravage your state on a daily basis) right? Always sticking up for the degenerates of society & never the decent folks who stand up to the chaos you & those like you allow. On brand for you, Gavy!”
The Daily Wire reported:
Rittenhouse, who is now 18, lives in Antioch, a northern suburb of Chicago about 15 miles from Kenosha. On August 25 of last year when he was 17, Rittenhouse decided to patrol the downtown Kenosha area alongside other armed men in order to protect a used car dealership from looting and vandalism. The city had devolved into rioting over the police shooting of Jacob Blake, a black man, by a white Kenosha police officer.
Rittenhouse took a medical kit and armed himself with a Smith & Wesson M&P15, which is an AR-15 style semi-automatic rifle that police say his friend illegally bought for him.
While guarding the used car dealership, he was chased by protesters and ended up fatally shooting two people, Joseph Rosenbaum and Anthony Huber, and injuring a third, Gaige Grosskreutz. The defendant and the three men he shot are all white.
He was arrested and charged with five felony charges and one misdemeanor charge. The most serious charge was intentional homicide, Wisconsin’s top murder charge, which carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison. The others were reckless homicide, attempted homicide, two counts of reckless endangerment, and being a minor illegally in possession of a firearm.
On Monday, the judge dismissed the misdemeanor firearm charge, which was considered the easiest charge for the state to prove. Previously, Rittenhouse was also charged with violating curfew, but that charge was dismissed last week by the judge as well.
- Democrat Cori Bush Faces Backlash For Claiming Judge, Jury, Rittenhouse All White Supremacists
- Top Democrat Calls For Justice Department To Intervene In Rittenhouse Case, Conduct ‘Federal Review’
- Colin Kaepernick, Bubba Wallace Slammed Over Controversial Comments On Rittenhouse Not Guilty Verdict
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.