News anchor Chris Wallace, who announced on Sunday that he was leaving Fox News after 18 years to join CNN, was met online with mixed reactions to the move.
“I am thrilled to join CNN+. After decades in broadcast and cable news, I am excited to explore the world of streaming,” Wallace said in a statement. “I look forward to the new freedom and flexibility streaming affords in interviewing major figures across the news landscape—and finding new ways to tell stories. As I embark on this adventure, I am honored and delighted to join Jeff Zucker and his great team. I can’t wait to get started.”
The Daily Wire reported on Sunday:
Wallace’s decision to join CNN comes as CNN has endured multiple negative news cycles in recent weeks surrounding former disgraced host Chris Cuomo, who the network fired after conducting an investigation into the help that he provided then-New York Governor Andrew Cuomo in dealing with a sexual misconduct scandal. During the course of the investigation, Cuomo was fired after he was accused of sexually harassing a woman he used to work with at a different network.
Wallace’s departure sparked a flurry of negative comments from a wide range of political commentators while his colleagues at Fox News mostly said positive things.
Following the initial wave of responses were the following remarks:
- Kurt Schlichter, attorney: “Chris Wallace joined a network packed with sex pests.”
- Todd Starnes, commentator: “Wait. CNN really thinks people are going to pay to watch Don Lemon, Brian Stelter and Chris Wallace?”
- Steve Deace, The Blaze: “I thought Chris Wallace was a loathsome, biased, hacktastic douche bag long before Donald Trump decided to become a politician.”
- John Nolte, Breitbart: “Lol, Chris Wallace… Fox News just dumped the one guy who can’t win his time slot. … CNN celebrating Chris Wallace joining their sunken ship makes perfect sense. He’s another lying leftist sitting in last place in the ratings. He’ll fit right in.”
- Ann Coulter, author: “I’m guessing Chris Wallace is going to ‘CNN Plus’ because ‘CNN Minus’ would be redundant.”
Others reacted differently, including:
- Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT): “Thank you, Chris Wallace, for the years of truth & honesty. I trust that what’s in store for you will be rewarding & impactful but even if not, you’ve already served with uncommon grace & generosity of spirit. You kindled the passion of your dad & took it to even greater heights.”
- Stephen Hayes: “Chris Wallace had an incredible run. He served as a great example of how to do news – and do it well – during tumultuous and often disorienting times. It was an honor to appear on his panel. Eager to see what comes next.”
- Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA): “Congratulations to Chris Wallace on a hell of a Sunday morning run. Each week Chris brought integrity and a relentless but fair quest for the truth to the interviewer’s chair. Farewell, Chris and best wishes for what’s ahead.”