The Daily Wire
Subscribe

China Institutes Mass Lockdowns Of More Than 100 Million After Failing To Stop Outbreak, Report Says

By  Ryan Saavedra
   DailyWire.com
BEIJING, CHINA - MAY 01: A Chinese paramilitary police officer gestures as he wears a protective mask while standing guard at the entrance to the Forbidden City as it re-opened to limited visitors for the May holiday, on May 1, 2020 in Beijing, China. Beijing lowered its risk level after more than three months Thursday in advance of the May holiday, allowing most domestic travellers arriving in the city to do so without having to do 14 days quarantine. The Forbidden City opened to a limited number of visitors Friday morning for the first time in more than three months. After decades of growth, officials said China's economy had shrunk in the latest quarter due to the impact of the coronavirus epidemic. The slump in the worlds second largest economy is regarded as a sign of difficult times ahead for the global economy. While industrial sectors in China are showing signs of reviving production, a majority of private companies are operating at only 50% capacity, according to analysts. With the pandemic hitting hard across the world, officially the number of coronavirus cases in China is dwindling, ever since the government imposed sweeping measures to keep the disease from spreading. Officials believe the worst appears to be over in China, though there are concerns of another wave of infections as the government attempts to reboot the worlds second largest economy. Since January, China has recorded more than 81,000 cases of COVID-19 and at least 3200 deaths, mostly in and around the city of Wuhan, in central Hubei province, where the outbreak first started.
Kevin Frayer/Getty Images

The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has reportedly ordered more than a hundred million people to go into lockdown after the government failed to stop the coronavirus outbreak originating in their country which has devastated the global economy.

“Some 108 million people in China’s northeast region are being plunged back under lockdown conditions as a new and growing cluster of infections causes a backslide in the nation’s return to normal,” Bloomberg News reported. “In an abrupt reversal of the re-opening taking place across the nation, cities in Jilin province have cut off trains and buses, shut schools and quarantined tens of thousands of people. The strict measures have dismayed many residents who had thought the worst of the nation’s epidemic was over.”

The report suggested that the reason for the reported mass lockdown was due to a “cluster of 34 infections” – a claim that could be met with skepticism given China’s lying about the pandemic that originated in Wuhan.

The Asia Times Financial reported that local Chinese Communist Party officials had been fired over the incident.

“Still, delivery services have been mostly halted and anti-fever medication is banned at drugstores to prevent people from hiding their symptoms,” Bloomberg News added. “The tension has spread to nearby areas, even if no cases have been reported officially in those places yet.”

The news comes as at least 116 nations have co-sponsored a resolution backing an investigation into the origins of the coronavirus, which originated in China.

Trump sent a scathing letter to the World Health Organization on Monday night, saying that the U.S. government had conducted an investigation into the WHO’s handling of the pandemic and determined that its offense were so extreme that they had 30 days to make “major” changes otherwise the U.S. would permanently cut funding to the organization and may withdraw its membership.

“It is clear the repeated missteps by you and your organization in responding to the pandemic have been extremely costly for the world,” Trump said in the letter. “The only way forward for the World Health Organization is if it can actually demonstrate independence from China. My administration has already started discussions with you on how to reform the organization. But action is needed quickly. We do not have time to waste. That is why it is my duty, as President of the United States, to inform you that, if the World Health Organization does not commit major substantive improvements within the next 30 days, I will make my temporary freeze of United States funding to the World Health Organization permanent and reconsider our membership in the organization. I cannot allow American taxpayer dollars to continue to finance an organization that, in its present state, is so clearly not serving America’s interests.”

The Daily Wire, headed by bestselling author and popular podcast host Ben Shapiro, is a leading provider of conservative news, cutting through the mainstream media’s rhetoric to provide readers the most important, relevant, and engaging stories of the day. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.  

Read more in:
  • China
  • ,
  • Coronavirus

83 days until election

Don't miss a beat of our coverage.

The Daily Wire
AboutAdvertise With UsBook our SpeakersHelp CenterContact Us
Standards & PoliciesPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseCareersInternships
FacebookTwitterInstagramYouTubeRSS
© Copyright 2020, The Daily Wire