Actor Bill Murray gave an interview over the weekend where he addressed the allegations of inappropriate behavior that led to his latest film being shut down.
The movie, “Being Mortal,” which includes other top actors like Aziz Ansari and Seth Rogan, was set to be released in 2023 before the incident. It is now not clear whether Murray will continue to be a part of the film.
Speaking to CNBC on Saturday, Murray chalked up the incident, which he did not elaborate on, as a “difference of opinion,” saying that he did something that he thought was funny, but that it was not received that way by the other party.
“I did something I thought was funny, and it wasn’t taken that way,” Murray said. “The company, the movie studio, wanted to do the right thing, so they wanted to check it all out, investigate it, and so they stopped the production. But as of now, we’re talking and we’re trying to make peace with each other. I think that’s where the real issue is, between our peace. We’re both professionals. We like each other’s work. We like each other, I think, and if you can’t really get along and trust each other, there’s no point in going further working together or making a movie as well.”
“And I feel like if I don’t see that, you know, the world is different than it was when I was a little kid,” he said. “You know, what I always thought was funny as a little kid isn’t necessarily the same as what’s funny now. Things change and the times change, so it’s important for me to figure it out. And I think the most important thing is that it’s best for the other person. I thought about it, and if it’s not best for the other person, doesn’t matter what happens for me.”
Murray said that what would make him the happiest is if all parties involved could get back to work and learn to trust each other and the work that they’ve been doing, and that they can grow from the incident.
Searchlight Pictures sent a letter to everyone involved with the project last week, notifying them that they had decided to pause production until the incident was thoroughly investigated.
“Late last week, we were made aware of a complaint, and we immediately looked into it,” the letter stated. “After reviewing the circumstances, it has been decided that production cannot continue at this time. We are truly grateful to all of you for everything you’ve put into this project. Our hope is to resume production and are working with Aziz and [producer] Youree [Henley] to figure out that timing.”