President Joe Biden was met with both mockery and sympathy online Saturday afternoon after video clips of him falling off a bicycle while standing still quickly went viral.
Biden was riding his bike near his Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, home when he fell, The Daily Wire reported. After he got up, he claimed that he was “good.”
Biden fell off his bike while stationary this morning pic.twitter.com/ZNh1wHlGI6
— Daily Wire (@realDailyWire) June 18, 2022
Donald Trump Jr. responded by writing on Twitter, “I’m not sure there’s ever been a more perfect metaphor for the current state of our country than Biden falling off his bike while standing still for literally no reason.”
I’m not sure there’s ever been a more perfect metaphor for the current state of our country than Biden falling off his bike while standing still for literally no reason. pic.twitter.com/4ByBOHJdEa
— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) June 18, 2022
Other notable responses to Biden included:
- Allie Beth Stuckey, podcast host: “The most troubling part of the Biden falling off the bike video is that he wasn’t even riding when he fell. He was standing still then fell over.”
- Annika H Rothstein, political commentator: “Why the hell would his advisors allow him to be on a bike, given how he tends to fall over while WALKING on FLAT SURFACES!?”
- Caleb Hull, digital strategist: “I can’t believe Putin did this.”
- Steve Deace, BlazeTV: “Okay, that is really bad.”
- Harmeet K. Dhillon, attorney: “All politics aside: would you let your elderly relative who can barely walk and has perceptibly impaired mental capacity, gallivant around on a bike, potentially falling and breaking a hip? I wouldn’t.”
- David Reaboi, political commentator: “How do they put him on a bike when he barely knows where he is?”
- Dan Katz, Barstool Sports: “I think I’ve watched this 100 times and it gets funnier every time. You can’t fall off your bike as the President, you just can’t.”
- Elijah Schaffer, The Blaze: “It’s really sad. The whole thing. I’m not even going to laugh. Mock him. Or anything. The guy is close to death. He can’t even balance on a bicycle. He needs rest. Meanwhile, he’s being used as a puppet to dismantle our fossil fuel industry and collapse the economy.”
- T.J. Moe, The Blaze: “The most symbolic bicycle crash in history. Stopped, no immediate danger, no threat to avoid… just a self inflicted crash.”
- Matt Schlapp, CPAC: “My presidency has fallen and it can’t get up.”
- Avi Yemini, political commentator: “Whoever let Biden out on a bicycle instead of a wheelchair should be charged. We’ve learnt nothing from World Elder Abuse Awareness Day.”
The Daily Wire reported earlier Saturday that this is only the latest incident where Biden has fallen. Last month, Biden nearly stumbled while walking up the steps of Air Force One.
The president, who is the oldest person to ever hold the position in U.S. history, began his presidency by tripping on the steps of Air Force One.
Before taking office in January 2021, Biden claimed he broke his foot after he fell while playing with his dog following a shower.