President Joe Biden faced significant backlash on Thursday evening over a report from The Wall Street Journal that said that the administration was considering paying illegal aliens that were separated from their families under the previous administration up to $450,000 each.
“The U.S. Departments of Justice, Homeland Security, and Health and Human Services are considering payments that could amount to close to $1 million a family, though the final numbers could shift,” The Wall Street Journal reported. “Most of the families that crossed the border illegally from Mexico to seek asylum in the U.S. included one parent and one child.”
According to the WSJ, the talks come “as several agencies work to resolve lawsuits filed on behalf of parents and children who say the government subjected them to lasting psychological trauma.” The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is representing some of those families.
There was widespread backlash from Biden’s political opponents over the report, including:
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA): “Pure insanity. The Biden administration is reportedly looking to pay $450,000 to illegal immigrants who knowingly broke the law. It’s a slap in the face to our law-abiding citizens who wake up, go to work, and pay their taxes.”
- Donald Trump Jr.: “Holy S**t!!! The Democrats insane. You lost your business, your job, family members whose funerals you couldn’t attend. The IRS wants to audit you if you had $600 in your bank account the government gave you $2000, but if you’re inconvenienced coming here illegally $450,000 EACH!”
- Rep. Ken Buck (R-CO): “Joe Biden wants to raise your taxes, but give $450,000 to illegal immigrants. Biden is putting America last.”
- Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY): “Our southern border is already a crisis now. Just think what will happen when Joe Biden pays $450,000 to illegal immigrants who previously crossed the border. Joe Biden is pouring kerosene on an already raging fire.”
- Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-TX): “Biden wants to pay illegal immigrants $450,000 for their hardship while breaking our laws. For perspective, if a service member is killed in action, their next of kin gets an insurance payment of $400,000. Let that sink in.”
- Sen. Roger Marshall (R-KS): “Biden Admin to American citizens: We want to monitor your every transaction to see where we can tax you more. Biden Admin to Illegals: Here’s $450k for breaking our laws and entering the U.S. illegally.”
- Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI): “That’s quite the penalty to pay for illegally entering our country. Can you imagine the magnet that will create for more illegal immigration? Way to go Joe!”
- Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-TX): “I can’t BELIEVE Biden wants to pay illegals who were allegedly ‘separated at the border’ $450,000. We’re REWARDING people who’ve BROKEN THE LAW. They shouldn’t be rewarded – they should be DEPORTED! This is INSANE!!”
- Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA): “Joe Biden puts illegal immigrants above American citizens. RT if you agree → Illegal immigrants should not each be given $450,000 of U.S. taxpayer money.”
- Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR): “The Biden Administration wants you to give $1 million to illegal immigrant families who broke the law. This is beyond open borders. It’s an assault on American sovereignty.”
- Adam Laxalt, U.S. Senate candidate in Nevada: “Biden wants to give close to half a million of YOUR tax dollars to each illegal immigrant for ‘pain and suffering.’ Nothing screams America Last more than this.”
- The Republican National Committee: “Rising crime, surging prices, empty shelves, border in chaos. And Biden wants to PAY illegal immigrants $450,000 for breaking the law.”
- Rep. Dan Bishop (R-NC): “Biden wants to send the IRS after the bank accounts of Americans struggling with skyrocketing inflation and empty shelves. But would pay $450,000 to illegal immigrants.”
- Sen. Bill Hagerty (R-TN): “If you think Biden’s policies were a magnet to illegal immigrants before, just wait until illegal immigrants are paid $450k EACH for coming here illegally. Offering free open borders apparently wasn’t enough. Doing this in the middle of a record border crisis is jaw-dropping.”
- Rep. Greg Murphy (R-NC): “Average American family income: $68,703 Biden Admin wants to give illegal immigrants: $450,000.”
- Rep. Mariannette Miller-Meeks (R-IA): “This is a slap in the face to hard-working and law-abiding Americans across the country.”
- Rep. Matt Rosendale (R-MT): “Joe Biden wants to give illegal aliens removed under President Trump’s zero-tolerance policy $450,000 per person of taxpayer money—payouts more than some families of 9/11 victims received. Joe Biden’s America: Illegal Aliens First. Americans Last.”
- Rep. Brian Mast (R-FL): “Excuse me, what? Forget free health care, now Biden is going to give illegal immigrants more compensation than 9/11 victims received?”
- Alberto Miguel Fernandez, former U.S. diplomat: “Imagine how this story will translate and percolate down to desperate people in slums and villages, not just in Latin America, but worldwide. The caravans we’ve seen so far is nothing. It’ll be the Children’s Crusade. Nice payoff for illegally crossing an international border. You might say, this is not true, that these are only legitimate asylum seekers and justice is being done. But cartel human traffickers and self-deceiving, desperate people will interpret it as expansively and deceptively as possible.”
- The Kansas Republican Party: “As Kansans are dealing with surging prices and empty shelves, Joe Biden wants to pay illegal immigrants $450,000 for breaking the law.”
- The House Republican Policy Committee: “Under their own plan, it sounds like the Biden Administration will have to tax these ‘rich people’ for making over $400,000 in a year.”
- Rep. Clay Higgins (R-LA): “This is insane. Democrats continue to put illegal immigrants first and Americans last.”
- Rep. Tim Walberg (R-MI): “President Biden wants to provide $450,000 payouts to illegal immigrants who crossed the border unlawfully. This is pure madness and an insult to hardworking taxpayers.”
- Rep. Scott Franklin (R-FL): “The Biden Administration wants to give people who broke the law half a million dollars while Americans can’t afford groceries.”
- Rep. Nicole Malliotakis (R-NY): “The idea that this is even being considered by the Biden administration is a slap in the face of EVERY American worker & legal immigrant who came to this country with nothing but worked, sacrificed, and earned everything they have. Stop this disgusting abuse of taxpayers @POTUS!”
- Former Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC): “If this is true, this is absolutely nuts. Someone breaks our laws, comes here illegally, and taxpayers end up paying them 10 times more than many honest hardworking Americans make in a whole year. Pathetic.”
President Biden claimed the report was untrue when pressed on the issue during a press conference on November 3.
This article has been expanded after publication to include additional information.
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.