The Biden administration gave another warning to Iran and its Islamic terrorist proxy groups in the Middle East on Friday that the U.S. Military was currently en route to bomb them.
The forthcoming bombing campaign comes after Iranian-backed terrorists inside Iraq launched a drone attack against a U.S. base last week that killed three U.S. soldiers and wounded nearly three dozen more.
After repeatedly telegraphing its plans to the enemy through a series of leaks to the media, the administration told The Wall Street Journal on Friday that it will strike targets inside Iraq and Syria — including Iranian personnel and facilities — as soon as this weekend.
But the attacks “will be ‘tiered,’ mixing military actions with other steps that can be adjusted to signal that Washington doesn’t seek further escalation.”
A U.S. official with the Department of Defense told Sky News Arabia that B-1B Lancer heavy bombers were currently en route for a “mission” in the Middle East.
Sky News Arabia said that the U.S. air campaign “has begun and zero hour is very close.”
The Journal noted that the Biden administration’s overt telegraphing of its plans to Iran has given it time to “reposition personnel and equipment, limiting the effectiveness of the U.S. attack.”
Joseph Votel, a retired U.S. Army general and former top Middle East commander, said that while the administration needed to be careful about the targets it strikes so it does not spark an all out war, the targets need to be valuable to Iran or else the bombing campaign will be pointless.
“There has to be a very unambiguous message to Iran that we hold them responsible for the actions of these militias,” he said. “I think the targeting has to include some targets that are of value to Iran.”