Ukraine has already received the equipment that they requested from billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk over the weekend, according to one the country’s top officials.
“Starlink — here,” Mykhailo Fedorov, Vice Prime Minister of Ukraine, tweeted along with a picture of the equipment. “Thanks, @elonmusk.”
“You are most welcome,” Musk responded.
You are most welcome
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) February 28, 2022
Musk said late on Saturday that SpaceX’s Starlink satellite broadband service was now available in Ukraine with more terminals en route to the country.
Musk made the remark on social media in response to a tweet from Mykhailo Fedorov, the Vice Prime Minister of Ukraine, who tweeted: “@elonmusk, while you try to colonize Mars — Russia try to occupy Ukraine! While your rockets successfully land from space — Russian rockets attack Ukrainian civil people! We ask you to provide Ukraine with Starlink stations and to address sane Russians to stand.”
Ukraine highlighted the tweet, writing: Dear @elonmusk, Ukraine needs your support. Your stance and your actions matter. An appeal by our Minister of Digital Transformation here.”
“Starlink service is now active in Ukraine,” Musk responded. “More terminals en route.”
Starlink service is now active in Ukraine. More terminals en route.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) February 26, 2022
“Starlink provides high-speed, low-latency broadband internet across the globe. Within each coverage area, orders are fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis,” the company says. “Using advanced satellites in a low orbit, Starlink enables video calls, online gaming, streaming, and other high data rate activities that historically have not been possible with satellite internet.”
“Starlink is ideally suited for areas where connectivity has been unreliable or completely unavailable,” the company added. “People across the globe are using Starlink to gain access to education, health services and even communications support during natural disasters.”
The plea from the Ukrainian government comes after Russian President Vladimir Putin launched a full scale invasion into Ukraine late last week that has included heavy fighting throughout the country.
Notable responses to Musk’s move to give Starlink to Ukraine included:
- Ukraine: “Thanx, appreciate it.”
- Mykhailo Fedorov, Vice Prime Minister of Ukraine: “Starlink terminals are coming to Ukraine! Thank you @elonmusk , thank you everyone, who supported Ukraine!”
- Robert C. O’Brien, former national security adviser: “I said in my remarks to @CPAC today that @elonmusk is one of the reasons America will ultimately prevail against #Russia and #China. Below is Exhibit A in support of my argument. #Ukraine #Freedom”
- Payton Alexander, attorney: “The people of Ukraine, an embattled war-torn country, will now receive high speed, low latency, broadband internet from space. Russia cannot touch it.”
- Klon Kitchen, AEI senior fellow: “Awesome. Also, a major example of how the national security burden is now shared with the private sector in fundamental and powerful ways. Well done @elonmusk (but we should talk about China).”
- Maye Musk, Elon Musk’s mother: “@elonmusk Wonderful! #ProudMom #StopTheWar #Ukraine.”
- Bel Trew, reporter: “Well this is quite something. One of the biggest fears among Ukrainians I’ve been speaking to is being completely cut off from the world while the worst attacks happens.”
- Brendan Carr, FCC Commissioner: “Great to see! America has a strategic interest in allied enterprises beaming Internet abroad—from Cuba to Afghanistan & now Ukraine. Bills introduced last year by @marcorubio @SenRickScott @RepMariaSalazar would ensure the U.S. backs those efforts. Let’s pass those bills ASAP.”
- Scott Adams, political commentator: “Pushes a button and changes the course of history.”
- Scott Gilmore, magazine editor: “SpaceX donating starlink terminals means it’s now impossible for Russia to shut down the internet. This keeps Pres Zelenskyy connected to Ukrainians and keeps Ukrainians connected to the world. It’s a monumental boon to their fight.”
- Mike Cernovich, political commentator: “Elon Musk is Iron Man. The West sees all conflict now as a 3 act comic book movie.”
This report has been updated to include additional information.