President Donald Trump will end former Vice President Kamala Harris’ Secret Service protection, which former President Joe Biden had quietly extended beyond the usual timeframe.
Harris’ Secret Service protection will end on Monday, according to a Thursday letter obtained by CNN. A senior White House official confirmed the cancellation of the Secret Service detail on Friday morning.
“You are hereby authorized to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorized by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective September 1, 2025: Former Vice President Kamala D. Harris,” a letter from the White House to the Department of Homeland Security read.
Federal law requires that vice presidents get six months of taxpayer-funded Secret Service protection after leaving office. Biden took executive action before completing his term, giving Harris 18 total months of Secret Service protection, NBC reported. Typically, her Secret Service detail would have been pulled on July 21.
“The Vice President is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” senior Harris adviser Kirsten Allen said, commenting on the decision.
California Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom was briefed on the end of Harris’s Secret Service protection, CNN reported.
“The safety of our public officials should never be subject to erratic, vindictive political impulses,” Newsom spokesman Bob Salladay said.
In the coming weeks, Harris is set to embark on a national tour to promote her book, “107 Days,” which documents her failed 2024 presidential campaign.
End of Summer Sale – Get 40% off New DailyWire+ Annual Memberships
Trump has previously moved to end Secret Service details for other former government officials. Shortly after beginning his second term, Trump yanked the Secret Service details for former National Security Adviser John Bolton, former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and former Iran envoy Brian Hook.
He also revoked the Secret Service details for Hunter and Ashley Biden in March. In a Truth Social post at the time, Trump said that 31 agents were protecting the half-siblings.
“Hunter Biden has had Secret Service protection for an extended period of time, all paid for by the United States Taxpayer. There are as many as 18 people on this Detail, which is ridiculous! He is currently vacationing in, of all places, South Africa, where the Human Rights of people has been strenuously questioned,” Trump wrote. “Hunter Biden will no longer receive Secret Service protection. Likewise, Ashley Biden who has 13 agents will be taken off the list.”