Texas land commissioner George P. Bush, the eldest son of former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, delivered a simple message for rioters who might be thinking about trashing The Alamo: “Don’t mess with The Alamo.”
Bush released a statement on Saturday evening after social media posts claimed that so-called “protesters” were wanting to take down The Alamo, which comes as violent rioters have trashed inner cities across the country and have destroyed historical monuments and statues in recent days.
One social media post that went viral online came from lawyer Robert Barnes, who wrote: “Protesters in San Antonio now demanding tearing down The Alamo.” The tweet had nearly 9,000 retweets several hours after it was posted.
Protesters in San Antonio now demanding tearing down The Alamo.
— Robert Barnes (@Barnes_Law) June 13, 2020
Bush released a statement late on Saturday, saying, “The Alamo is the Shrine of Texas Liberty. And it will be defended. My office is closely watching the social media posts and rumors from protestors who are threatening to come to The Alamo.”
“Rest assured we have already deployed, for several weeks and will continue to do so, the Alamo Rangers in partnership with SAPD, The Department of Public Safety and The National Guard to protect this sacred site,” Bush continued. “My message to the protestors is simple: Don’t mess with The Alamo.”
— George P. Bush (@georgepbush) June 13, 2020
The riots and destruction of property came in response to the death of George Floyd a couple of weeks ago in Minneapolis.
Texas Governor Greg Abbott spent time with Floyd’s family this week.
“Today I spent time with the #GeorgeFloyd family,” Abbott wrote on social media alongside two pictures. “They are wonderful, God loving people. They will be the centerpiece of helping America bridge our racial divide & ensure equality, justice & fairness for everyone in America—& ensure what happened in Minn. never happens in TX.”
Today I spent time with the #GeorgeFloyd family.
They are wonderful, God loving people.
They will be the centerpiece of helping America bridge our racial divide & ensure equality, justice & fairness for everyone in America—& ensure what happened in Minn. never happens in TX. pic.twitter.com/DKdbjZOCWh
— Greg Abbott (@GregAbbott_TX) June 8, 2020
After Floyd’s death riots broke out in Minneapolis that caused damage to hundreds of businesses.
The Star Tribune reported, “The city’s first survey of property damage shows that nearly 1,000 commercial properties in Minneapolis were damaged during the riots, including 52 businesses that were completely destroyed and 30 other locations that sustained severe damage.”
At least one of the businesses that was destroyed during the violent riots announced that it will leave the city after what happened.
The Daily Wire reported:
The owner of a manufacturing company in Minneapolis that was burned to the ground during last week’s violent riots has announced that he is relocating his company, taking dozens of jobs out of the city, due to the failure of the city’s Democrat leaders to protect businesses.
“They don’t care about my business,” Kris Wyrobek, president and owner of 7-Sigma Inc., told the Star Tribune. “They didn’t protect our people. We were all on our own.”
Wyrobek told the newspaper that it was too late to change his mind about moving his businesses out of the city and that he never in his “wildest nightmare” would have thought about moving prior to the riots.
The Daily Wire, headed by bestselling author and popular podcast host Ben Shapiro, is a leading provider of conservative news, cutting through the mainstream media’s rhetoric to provide readers the most important, relevant, and engaging stories of the day. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.