Democrat House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was met with a wide array of responses on Sunday following the news that her husband had been arrested in California for allegedly driving under the influence.
Paul Pelosi, 82, was arrested in Napa County and charged with misdemeanors. Bail was set at $5,000.
Paul and Nancy Pelosi on an estate in Napa Valley on Zinfandel Lane, which is valued at well north of $5,000,000, that has a vineyard that nets the couple $5,000 to $15,000 in grape sales per year.
“The House Speaker’s spouse was arrested just before midnight Saturday night in Napa County, and then booked hours later into jail on two counts — driving under the influence and driving with a blood alcohol content level of 0.08 or higher … both misdemeanors,” TMZ reported. “The arrest info here lines up with what we know about Paul publicly, especially his birthday — listed as April 15, 1940. Indeed, the guy’s 82 years old.”
Nancy Pelosi faced variety of remarks in response to the news ranging from mockery to downplaying the seriousness of the news.
Notable responses included:
- Harmeet K. Dhillon, attorney: “Thank God no one was hurt. Hope he gets some help for this problem.”
- Jesse Kelly, radio host: “Always blows me away when this happens to rich people. Dude is worth over $100 million. Bro, hire a driver. My word.”
- Monica Crowley, former Trump official: “It’s like Bill Clinton with the side pieces. Who can blame them, really?”
- Mike Cernovich, political commentator: “The body metabolizes alcohol as you get older. I know a guy who got a DUI in his 70’s. He had only had two glasses of wine at dinner, but those machines say what they say. Keep this in mind as we all get older. One glass even might trigger those machines.”
- Charles Gasparino, journalist: “With all the money these people make trading stocks you would think they can afford an Uber.”
- Charles Brady, editor: “Perhaps after the selloff in technology shares legendary stock picker Paul Pelosi couldn’t afford an Uber…”
- Mark Levin, radio host: “Can’t really blame him.”
- Jason Rantz, radio host: “As long as there’s no special treatment, not sure it’s news that the husband of Nancy Pelosi got a DUI.”
- Chad Prather, The Blaze: “Nancy Pelosi’s husband arrested for DUI. If she was your wife, you’d be drinking and trying to get away too.”
- John Cardillo, political commentator: “Pelosi’s designated driver husband was more drunk than she was.”