Premieres 12/1 at 8pm ET
Watch exclusively on DailyWire+
No, former Vice President Mike Pence did not file to run for president in 2024.
His spokesman, Devin O’Malley, quickly snuffed out early buzz stemming from a Statement of Candidacy form submitted to the Federal Election Commission in Pence’s name on Monday.
“Former Vice President Mike Pence did not file to run for President today,” O’Malley said in response to a reporter who tweeted Pence had entered the race.
The denial didn’t come fast enough, as some media outlets already went ahead and published stories announcing Pence filed with the FEC.
“Someone filed a Pence filing. But it wasn’t Pence, his spokesman says, suggesting it was a prank,” tweeted New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman.
Someone filed a Pence filing. But it wasn’t Pence, his spokesman says, suggesting it was a prank https://t.co/iGT4Ur4GS0
— Maggie Haberman (@maggieNYT) December 26, 2022
Despite what appears to have been a stunt, Pence said last month he is giving “prayerful consideration” to a 2024 presidential bid.
If he does enter the fray, Pence would be setting himself up for a clash against his old boss, former President Donald Trump, who declared his third campaign for the White House last month.
Prior to serving four years as vice president, a tenure which ended with what Pence said was Trump acting “reckless” on the day of the Capitol riot, Pence served as governor of Indiana and a member of the House of Representatives.