On Thursday, a desperate President Obama, trying to spin his legacy to the good, told a massive audience, “None of what they say has happened” regarding Republican criticisms of Obamacare.
That is an outright lie. Everything we said would happen has now happened.
Obamacare is currently imploding.
1. Premiums Are Skyrocketing. In September 2010, policy analysts at the Heritage Foundation warned, “One of the major impacts of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is that individuals and families will see higher health insurance premiums.” Obama denied this, and said that health insurance premiums would surely fall. Instead, they have skyrocketed. Benchmark plans under Obamacare, according to The Washington Times, are “set to rise by an average of 22 percent nationwide.”
2. People Are Being Thrown Off Their Insurance. Virtually everybody warned about insurance companies dropping out of Obamacare thanks to the ridiculous costs imposed by the system. Across the country, that’s been happening with regularity. Now, about 20 percent of Obamacare customers will be faced with an insurance company monopoly – just one insurance company participating in Obamacare in their state. That means that millions could lose their insurance coverage – Bloomberg puts the number at 1.4 million. As early as 2013, Politifact labeled Obama’s contention that you could keep your health insurance plan the “lie of the year.”
3. People Are Losing Their Doctors. Obama repeatedly stated that you would not lose your doctor under Obamacare. Republicans repeatedly warned that you would. That Obama lie was indeed a lie – the architect of Obamacare, Jonathan Gruber, acknowledged as much at the time. As plans change, doctors aren’t covered or don’t accept those plans. Republicans knew that, Obama knew it. But Obama fibbed about it.
4. Coops Are Going Out Of Business. In 2009, Scott Harrington wrote a piece for The Wall Street Journal in which he ripped government co-ops: “Proposed co-ops instead would require billions of dollars of ‘start-up’ subsidies. More important, the creation of government-authorized co-ops would entail significant risk of ongoing subsidies by taxpayers…of substantial private insurance crowd-out, and of eventual conversion to a government-run plan.” That’s exactly right – and states have refused to subsidize these failing co-ops. According to The Washington Free Beacon, “Only a third of Obamacare co-ops are still in operation after two more co-ops announced they were closing their doors in the past week….two failed co-ops in Oregon and the failed co-op in Connecticut join 12 other co-ops that have failed in Arizona, Colorado, Kentucky, Michigan, Nevada, New York, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Utah, as well as a co-op that served both Iowa and Nebraska. This leaves only eight co-ops in existence out of the 23 initially created under Obamacare.”
5. Obamacare Is Being Applied To Illegal Immigrants. Remember that time Congressman Joe Wilson (R-SC) shouted “You lie!” at President Obama during the State of the Union address after Obama said illegal immigrants would not be eligible for Obamacare? It turns out Obama lied. California has applied for a federal waiver to open its Obamacare exchange to illegal immigrants. The plans offered would supposedly not be subsidized, but the whole point of plans subject to the Obamacare regulations is that the companies themselves are effectively subsidized by the government.
So yes, Obama’s lying again. We all warned what Obamacare was and what it would become.