The pro-life movie “Unplanned” has an ally in Vice President Mike Pence, who tweeted out his support of the theatrical release after TV networks and Twitter blackballed the film over the weekend.
“So good to see movie theaters across the country showing Unplanned — a deeply inspiring new pro-life film based on the best-selling book by Abby Johnson,” the vice president tweeted. “More and more Americans are embracing the sanctity of life because of powerful stories like this one.”
The vice president was not the only major political figure to openly support the film during the coordinated blackballing; the president’s son, Donald Trump Jr., also joined in to support the film, according to LifeSiteNews.
“Unplanned” tells the story of famed Planned Parenthood defector Abby Johnson and her journey to become a pro-life advocate. The movie faced tremendous hurdles leading into its release last Friday when the marketers announced that television networks were refusing to run ads for the film.
“If you haven’t seen a commercial for Unplanned, an anti-abortion movie critical of Planned Parenthood, it isn’t for lack trying on the part of marketers, whose efforts have been consistently rebuffed by TV networks,” The Hollywood Reporter said on Friday. “Pure Flix, the distributor behind the box office hit God’s Not Dead and other movies aimed at Christians, opens the movie in 1,000 theaters today, but outside of the Fox News Channel, every other mainstream television outlet has declined to air the ad.”
Lifetime, Hallmark Channel, HGTV and other cable networks other than Fox News stonewalled the movie from advertising on their platforms.
The networks gave the makers of “Unplanned” ambiguous excuses for the decision. Lifetime, for instance, said they would not run ads due to the “sensitive nature of the film,” an obvious deflection, especially when considering that Lifetime previously promoted “an interview with Scarlett Johansson where she pitches Planned Parenthood,” according to the marketers.
Following that, social media giant Twitter inexplicably suspended the film’s official account for several hours on the very same weekend of its release. Furthermore, people who tried to follow “Unplanned” on Twitter were immediately forced to unfollow it. From The Daily Wire’s Ryan Saavedra:
The continued problems with the movie’s Twitter account come after it was mysteriously banned on Saturday and was only reinstated later in the day after widespread outrage. Twitter did not provide details on why the account was suspended.
Late on Sunday, thousands of people noted that every time they tried to follow the movie’s account that their Twitter accounts automatically unfollowed the account moments later. The Daily Wire experienced the same problem when it tried to follow the account and did not experience the same problem when following multiple other accounts at the same time.
Despite left-wing efforts to unfairly silence the movie, “Unplanned” ultimately performed above expectations in the box-office over the weekend. According to The Daily Signal, it has climbed to number four, pulling in a total of $6.4 million on 1,000 screens.
“We are thrilled, gratified, and humbled,” writer-directors Chuck Konzelman and Cary Solomon said in a press release. “We are so pleased that the American people have responded with such an enormous outpouring of support at the box office. It humbles us and we look forward to seeing what happens in the weeks ahead.”