One of the most recognizable comedic actors in the world just announced that he’s most likely going to retire. Jim Carrey, 60, made the surprising statements during a Thursday appearance on Access, Page Six reported.
“Well, I’m retiring. Yeah, probably. I’m being fairly serious,” Carrey said in response to a question about Dolly Parton wanting him to appear in an upcoming movie.
“I feel like — and this is something you might never hear another celebrity say as long as time exists — I have enough. I’ve done enough. I am enough,” the “Liar Liar” star continued.
Interviewer Kit Hoover asked the comedian to clarify what he meant and if he was serious about quitting the business. Carrey admitted that a killer script could convince him to return to acting, but it would have to be really, really good.
“It depends if the angels bring some sort of script that’s, you know, written in gold ink that says to me that it’s going to be really important for people to see, I might continue down the road, but I’m taking a break,” he said.
The Canadian-born performer explained that he’s moved on to other creative outlets instead.
“I really like my quiet life, and I really love putting paint on canvas, and I really love my spiritual life,” Carrey explained. Later, he discussed his NFT project Magic Hour, which he said was “a mix of painting and spoken word that delves into my existential musings.”
Next, the actor said he would consider any project that Parton was pitching.
“I would always speak to Dolly,” he said. Carrey described Parton as “an otherworldly talent that is just bigger than you can imagine.”
Carrey’s next big film “Sonic the Hedgehog 2” premieres on April 8. If this retirement news is real, it could be his last movie, barring any requests from Parton.
The “Ace Ventura” alum made headlines earlier this week for his take on the now-infamous incident between Will Smith and Chris Rock at the Oscars ceremony. Carrey insisted that Smith got off way too easy and that if he were in Rock’s shoes, he’d be suing Smith for $200 million.
As The Daily Wire previously reported, Carrey told Gayle King of CBS, “I was sickened. I was sickened by the standing ovation. Hollywood is just spineless en masse and it really felt like this is a really clear indication that we’re not the cool club anymore.”
The actor continued, “I’d have announced this morning that I was suing Will for $200 million because that video is going to be there forever, it’s going to be ubiquitous. That insult is gonna last a very long time. If you want to yell from the audience and show disapproval or say something on Twitter [that’s fine]. But you do not have the right to walk up on stage and smack somebody in the face because they said words.”
He concluded, “[The slap] came out of nowhere because Will has something going on inside him that’s frustrated. I wish him the best. I have nothing against Will Smith. He’s done great things, but that was not a good moment. It cast a shadow over everyone’s shining moment last night … It was a selfish moment.”
Enter for the chance to hang out with Gina Carano at the premiere of her new Daily Wire movie, Terror on the Prairie! Two lucky Daily Wire members will be given the complete red carpet treatment – free airfare, hotel, premiere car service, and exclusive merch. Daily Wire members can click here to enter for a chance to win. If you’re not a Daily Wire member yet, click here to join us so you can win this once-in-a-lifetime experience.