The decade's most triggering comedy
On Tuesday, CNN anchor Chis Cuomo released a statement notifying the public that he has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, which originated in China.
In a statement released on social media, Cuomo said he’ll continue to do his show, though for the time being it will take place in his basement. His guests will appear virtually instead of in-studio.
“Sooooo in these difficult times that seem to get more difficult and complicated by the day, I just found out that I am positive for coronavirus,” Cuomo’s statement started.
“I have been exposed to people in recent days who have subsequently tested positive and I had fever, chills and shortness of breath,” the anchor continued. “I just hope I didn’t give it to the kids and Cristina (his wife). That would make me feel worse than this illness!”
“I am quarantined in my basement (which actually makes the rest of the family seem pleased!),” the 49-year-old added. “I will do shows from here.”
Cuomo signed off: “We will all beat this by being smart and tough and united!”
— Christopher C. Cuomo (@ChrisCuomo) March 31, 2020
“Cuomo was most recently at CNN’s offices in the Hudson Yards neighborhood of New York City last Friday,” CNN reported Tuesday. “He anchored from his home on Monday, and interviewed his brother, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo.”
The network noted that Cuomo’s infection “is the third case of coronavirus involving CNN’s workspace in New York City. Employees were notified of another case in mid-March.” Like other media companies, CNN has implemented sweeping changes in response to the pandemic,” the CNN report added. “The vast majority of CNN employees have been working from home for several weeks. Anchors have been broadcasting from small studios and home offices. And office spaces are being regularly cleaned.”
Cuomo is not the first high-profile figure to announce they’ve been infected by COVID-19.
In recent weeks, celebrities like English actor Idris Elba and former “Lost” actor Daniel Dae Kim have announced they have COVID-19.
Offering a hopeful note, Kim shared last week that he recovered from coronavirus after taking hydroxychloroquine, a Trump-touted drug the actor described as the “secret weapon” to his rebounded health.
“I need to say this in bold letters: Obviously, I am not a doctor, nor am I lawyer … So please don’t take my word as that of a medical professional,” Kim told viewers in a video posted to social media.
“And here’s what I consider to be the secret weapon: hydroxychloroquine,” the actor stated. “This is a common anti-malarial drug that has been used with great success in Korea in their fight against the coronavirus. And yes, this is the drug that the president mentioned the other day.”
Dr. Anthony Fauci “cautioned us against” hydroxychloroquine, added Kim, noting that evidence of its effectiveness against COVID-19 is “anecdotal.”
“That is correct … it is only based on personal accounts,” he stressed. “Well, add my name to those personal accounts, because I am feeling better.”