Hollywood legend Bruce Willis is stepping away from his acting career, according to an Instagram post shared by his daughter Rumer Willis.
According to the announcement — which came from his family — Willis had been going through some issues with regard to his health and had been diagnosed with aphasia. Aphasia, which typically manifests after a head injury or stroke, can also develop gradually as a result of other degenerative pathologies that impact the brain.
View this post on Instagram
“To Bruce’s amazing supporters, as a family we wanted to share that our beloved Bruce has been experiencing some health issues and has recently been diagnosed with aphasia, which is impacting his cognitive abilities,” the post read. “As a result of this and with much consideration Bruce is stepping away from the career that has meant so much to him.”
“This is a really challenging time for our family and we are so appreciative of your continued love, compassion and support. We are moving through this as a strong family unit, and wanted to bring his fans in because we know how much he means to you, as you do to him,” the message continued.
“As Bruce always says, ‘Live it up’ and together we plan to do just that,” it concluded. “Love, Emma, Demi, Rumer, Scout, Tallulah, Mabel, & Evelyn.”
The well-wishes and accolades immediately began to pour out across Twitter as people got wind of the sad news.
- James Woods: “If you love movies, you love #BruceWillis. He has embodied everything good about the word ‘entertainment’ for decades. Kudos to his loving family for handling difficult news with dignity and grace. I speak for the world when I say, ‘We love you, Bruce.'”
- Dana Loesch: “Oh no. Prayers up. Bruce Willis is a treasure. Pals who worked with him say he’s an absolute gent.”
- Meghan McCain: “So much love, light, prayers, and strength to Bruce Willis, his wife, children, @justdemi and their entire family during this time. Have faith, there is hope and incredible geniuses at Mayo Clinic and NIH who work in neurology & study brains. Breakthroughs truly happen every day.”
- Matthew Marsden: “I’m very proud to have worked opposite the great Bruce Willis in one of his last movies. This is very sad. Legend.”
- Isaac Feldberg: “Bruce Willis has given us so many iconic characters and great performances across his career. Forever a legend. Wishing him all the best, and I hope he enjoys retirement.”
- Seth Green: “I have so much love for Bruce Willis, and am grateful for every character he’s given us. Hugs and love for the whole family- thank you for sharing him with us all.”
- Robert Daniels: “When Bruce Willis was on it, there were few who were better. An under appreciated dramatic force, an unlikely comedic presence, a sterling leading man. He could do anything and did everything in the movies. I’m going to miss seeing him on the silver screen.”