The lawsuit by actresses Lili Bernard and Eden Tirl, as well as Jewel Gittens, Jennifer Thompson, and Cindra Ladd names Cosby and media companies NBC Universal Media, Kaufman Astoria Studios, and The Carsey-Werner Company.
“Each plaintiff was sexually assaulted and battered by defendant Bill Cosby in the same or similar manner when he used his power, fame, and prestige, including the power, fame and prestige given to him by [the] defendants … to misuse his enormous power in such a nefarious, horrific way,” the suit reads.
“Now, these five Plaintiffs have come forward to stand up for themselves and others, after they were sexually abused and assaulted by Bill Cosby,” it added.
Four of the allegations relate to alleged rape or sexual acts during the 1980s or 1990s when “The Cosby Show” aired on NBC. The fifth allegation accuses Cosby of raping Ladd in 1969.
Bernard, one of the women bringing the lawsuit against Cosby, was a guest actress on “The Cosby Show,” and first accused the actor in 2015. She would later file a lawsuit against Cosby in 2021.
The legal suit was filed under New York’s Adult Survivors Act, a new law that allows a one-year lookback for accusers to file civil claims of sexual assault, regardless of the statute of limitations. The new law took effect on November 24, six months after Governor Kathy Hochul signed it.
“The fight against sexual assault requires us to recognize the impact of trauma within our justice system,” Hochul said when signing the legislation. “I am proud to sign this legislation, which is part of our collective responsibility to protect one another and create an environment that makes survivors feel safe.”
Cosby spokesman Andrew Wyatt blasted the effort as a “frivolous” lawsuit.
“As we have always stated, and now America can see, this isn’t about justice for victims of alleged sexual assault, it’s ALL ABOUT MONEY,” Wyatt said. “We believe that the courts, as well as the court of public opinion, will follow the rules of law and relieve Mr. Cosby of these alleged accusations. Mr. Cosby continues to vehemently deny all allegations waged against him and looks forward to defending himself in court.”
The Daily Wire previously reported that Cosby faced a civil suit in July. A Los Angeles jury found Cosby liable and awarded his accuser $500,000 in damages.
Judy Huth, now 64, had accused Cosby of sexually abusing her nearly 50 years ago when Cosby was in his mid-30s. Huth first filed suit seven years ago.
Last year, Cosby’s conviction after he was found guilty of drugging and molesting Temple University employee Andrea Constand was thrown out and he was released from prison, where he had been incarcerated since 2018.