Alec Baldwin has reached a settlement with the family of Halyna Hutchins, the cinematographer who was killed on the “Rust” movie set last year.
The undisclosed settlement in the wrongful death lawsuit against Baldwin and others involved in the film was announced in a statement from Hutchins’ husband, Matthew Hutchins, on Wednesday.
“We have reached a settlement, subject to court approval, for our wrongful death case against the producers of Rust, including Alec Baldwin and Rust Movie Productions, LLC. As part of that settlement, our case will be dismissed. The filming of Rust, which I will now executive produce, will resume with all the original principal players on board in January 2023. I have no interest in engaging in recriminations or attribution of blame (to the producers or Mr. Baldwin). All of us believe Halyna’s death was a terrible accident. I am grateful that the producers and the entertainment community have come together to pay tribute to Halyna’s final work,” Hutchins said.
“Throughout this difficult process, everyone has maintained the specific desire to do what is best for Halyna’s son. We are grateful to everyone who contributed to the resolution of this tragic and painful situation,” Alec Baldwin’s attorney, Luke Nikas of Quinn Emanuel trial lawyers, also said in a statement.
View this post on Instagram
Baldwin posted an update regarding the settlement on his Instagram account on Wednesday.
“We are pleased to announce today the settlement of the civil case filed on behalf of the family of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins,” he said.
The Instagram announcement further revealed that the “Rust” film would resume production in January. Matthew Hutchins will be an executive producer on the film and receive a portion of the profits.
Rust Movie Productions also released a statement to Deadline regarding the announcement.
“We are pleased the parties came together to resolve this matter, which, subject to court approval, marks an important step forward in celebrating Halyna’s life and honoring her work,” attorney Melina Spadone of Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman said.
The Daily Wire previously reported in April that Baldwin said a report from the New Mexico Occupational Health and Safety Bureau exonerated him from the on-set shooting that killed Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza.
“We are grateful to the New Mexico Occupational Health and Safety Bureau for investigating this matter,” Baldwin’s attorney said in a statement. “We appreciate the report exonerates Mr. Baldwin by making clear that he believed the gun held only dummy rounds.”
New Mexico workplace safety regulators previously fined Rust Movie Productions $136,793 and issued a “scathing” review of the production company’s safety practices, according to an April report by the Associated Press.