My husband has a lot of family members who live in Australia. They’re wonderful people. Despite the fact that we don’t always share the same politics, they are the kind of old-school folks who don’t let politics get in the way of meaningful relationships.
Recently, he received a message from one of these family members. She was expressing how the mental state of everyone around her is in steep decline. She shared with him a message that she’d received from a friend of hers — a woman who lives in Queensland — and it’s genuinely shocking.
It is a list of the COVID rules that she says Australian citizens are being made to follow. As you read this list, I want you to do your best to imagine your life and your mental state if you were being made to abide by these rules.
- A limited number of people allowed in your house
- At various times we are told we are allowed no visitors
- Funerals limited to between 5-10 people
- Curfews — helicopters often patrol the skies to ensure that everyone is abiding
- Not allowed to go past 5 kilometers from your home
- Not allowed to sit down at many parks, beaches, and public spaces
- No dancing
- Only one person per household is allowed to go shopping for essentials — only essential shopping is allowed, and at times the defense force and police have checked what people are shopping for
- International borders are closed. No one is allowed to leave the country.
- Small businesses are shut down while big businesses are allowed to operate.
- Citizens are locked out of their home state — thousands of them and are not allowed to return unless they get a vaccine or go through a slow and restrictive exemption request process.
- Families have been refused access to attend funerals that are across state borders. Yes — there is an application process and you have to apply to attend funerals and weddings and many people are denied.
- Relatedly, many people have died without family beside them because there is a mandatory quarantine process to move — and many people didn’t make it in time. One woman was only given access to her dying father in a hazmat suit.
- Protests have been declared illegal (despite the fact that protest is supposedly a constitutional right)
- If you protest, heavily armed police can pepper spray, tear gas, or fire rubber bullets at you.
For the last 20 years, the United States has spent trillions of dollars in Afghanistan fighting a war, (which we lost by the way). But we were told the war was necessary — that the slaughtering of American sons and daughters on foreign soil was necessary because we were fighting for a noble cause — to spread democracy in a tyrannical land. To free an oppressed people.
Let’s take that strategy to an absurd extreme, just for a moment.
If we’re so opposed to tyranny, when do we deploy troops to Australia?
When do we invade Australia to free oppressed people who are suffering under a totalitarian regime? When do we spend trillions of dollars to spread democracy in Australia?
Australia is a tyrannical police state. Its citizens are quite literally imprisoned against their will.
So when do we deploy? When do the leaders who want to counter tyranny across the globe commit to countering this tyranny?
I ask that in jest, of course.
But what is happening in Australia — under the guise of a virus which as of August 7th, 2021 experts estimate overall recovery rate is between 97% and 99.75% — is, in fact, federal overreach, tyranny and totalitarianism. The kind that gives birth to evil dictatorships and human rights atrocities.
We all know the truth — that what is happening in Australia was meant to happen here in America. That this current totalitarian administration is fighting tooth and nail to trample state rights and federalize America. If it weren’t for Republican governors standing in the way — we’d be similarly stripped of our most basic individual freedoms.
Can anyone explain to me by the way, in simple sentences, why the Australian government is any better or any nobler than the Taliban? Both groups believe they have a right to oppress and imprison people for their own good. Are Western governments any better?
I can say honestly that I never thought I’d live to see a world war. But here we are. We are in the midst of an ideological and psychological global war. It is a war being waged by governments all over the world, from here to Australia — against the very citizens they govern.
To that end, I say welcome to World War 3.
The views expressed in this opinion piece are the author’s own and do not necessarily represent those of The Daily Wire.
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.