James O’Keefe’s Project Veritas released shocking undercover footage of Twitter employees admitting that Twitter spies on its users, monitors its users’ private messages, views its users’ private “sex messages,” and the employee’s flippant attitude toward the power they wield, suggesting that it may be abused by employees at the tech giant.
The undercover footage shows four current Twitter software engineers — Conrado Miranda, Clay Haynes, Pranay Singh, and Mihai Alexandru Florea — all appearing to indicate that Twitter is involved in surveilling all aspects of its user’s activities on the platform, including viewing their private messages.
Key quotes from the four Twitter engineers include:
- “It is a creepy Big Brother. It’s like a level … I don’t want to say it freaks me out, but it disturbs me.” — Clay Haynes
- “There’s teams dedicated to it. I mean, we’re talking, we’re talking three or four … at least, three or four hundred people. … Yes, they’re paid to look at d*ck pics.” — Clay Haynes
- “Everything you send is stored on my server. … So all your sex messages and you, like, d*ck pics are on my server now. …” — Pranay Singh
- “All your illegitimate wives and, like, all the girls you’ve been f*cking around with, they’re are on my server now. … I’m going to send it to your wife, she’s going use it in your divorce.” — Pranay Singh
- “So, what happens is like, you like, write something or post pictures on line, they never go away. … Because even after you send them, people are like analyzing them, to see what you are interested in, to see what you are talking about. And they sell that data.” — Pranay Singh
- “You leak way more information than you think. Like, we have information from people–Like, if you go to Twitter for the first time, we have information about you.” — Conrado Miranda