Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have reportedly visited Queen Elizabeth II for the first time since stepping down from their royal roles two years ago.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex reportedly stopped by to see the queen on the way to the Invictus Games in the Netherlands, a spokesperson for the royals told ABC News, reported “Good Morning America” in a piece published Thursday.
The games, which were started in 2014 by Harry, contain Paralympic-style competition for wounded service members and veterans.
At the time of this publication, it is unclear if the former “Suits” actress and Harry met with any other members of the royal family during their visit to the United Kingdom.
BREAKING: Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, visited Harry's grandmother, Queen Elizabeth.
The visit marks the first time the couple has visited the queen together since moving to California two years ago. https://t.co/pEonADypo1
— Good Morning America (@GMA) April 14, 2022
News of the surprise visit initially came following a report about how the matriarch would not be attending the public ceremony Sunday for Easter services held at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle, reported People magazine.
There has been no reason given as to why the queen, who turns 96 next week, will be absent from the congregation Sunday. It comes after the queen’s many public appearances have been cut in recent months as the royal household prepares to celebrate the royal’s Platinum Jubilee, marking 70 years of service, in June, as reported previously by The Daily Wire.
“There will be year-long Platinum Jubilee celebrations throughout the United Kingdom, the Commonwealth and around the world as communities come together to celebrate The Queen’s historic reign,” Buckingham Palace announced.
“Events and initiatives” will take place throughout the year, and will culminate in a four day public holiday from Thursday June 2 to Sunday June 5, providing “an opportunity for communities and people throughout the United Kingdom to come together to celebrate the historic milestone.”
The queen has not been seen publicly since she attended a special memorial on March 29 in honor of her late husband, Prince Philip, People magazine noted.
As previously reported by The Daily Wire, Harry and Meghan did not travel to the U.K. for his late grandfather’s memorial service, due to apparent security concerns:
“The Duke will not be returning to the UK in late March, but hopes to visit his grandmother as soon as possible,” a spokesperson for the pair told Page Six.
The Daily Mail reported that Harry’s lawyers said the prince “claimed he ‘does not feel safe’ coming from across the Atlantic under the current security arrangements after he was told he would no longer be given the ‘same degree’ of personal protection when visiting from the US, despite offering to pay for it himself.”
Harry, however, “could feasibly travel back to the UK as the memorial will be covered by government security,” Page Six noted.