Paramount executive Keith Cox shared an update with fans about Kevin Costner’s future on the hit show “Yellowstone” following speculation that his time on the show is over due to conflicting schedules.
The president of development and production at Paramount Network told the hundreds of fans gathered at a panel on Saturday in Los Angeles at PaleyFest that the network is “confident” the 68-year-old actor is going to continue with their show, The Hollywood Reporter reported.
“What I can say is our star, the face of our show and the executive producer, [we] are very confident he’s going to continue with our show,” Cox told the crowd at the Dolby Theatre.
The news brought cheers from the crowd who have most notably seen the headlines that the lead and star of the popular series could be gone, the outlet noted.
The #YellowstoneTV panel at #PaleyFest was originally set to feature star Kevin Costner, creator Taylor Sheridan and the main cast. But just before the event, the lineup was replaced https://t.co/893BrFb5li
— The Hollywood Reporter (@THR) April 3, 2023
In February, reports surfaced that Costner’s character, John Dutton, could be leaving the series due to scheduling conflicts — and Paramount said little at the time to dispel those rumors.
At the time, the network released a statement that read, “We have no news to report. Kevin Costner is a big part of Yellowstone, and we hope that’s the case for a long time to come. Thanks to the brilliant mind of Taylor Sheridan, we are always working on franchise expansions of this incredible world he has built. Matthew McConaughey is a phenomenal talent with whom we’d love to partner.”
After numerous headlines surfaced, Costner’s attorney, Marty Singer, denied the rumors, calling them “ridiculous,” Fox News noted.
“The idea that Kevin was only willing to work one week on the second half of season 5 of ‘Yellowstone’ is an absolute lie,” Singer shared previously.
“It’s ridiculous — and anyone suggesting it shouldn’t be believed for one second,” he added. “As everyone who knows anything about Kevin is well aware, he is incredibly passionate about the show and has always gone way above and beyond to ensure its success.”
Speaking on the red carpet before the L.A. panel Saturday, one of Costner’s co-stars, Moses Brings Plenty, said that he’s “not worried about anything” because the “right people [are] at the helm” of the series.
“Kevin is very much a big part of the show and hopefully will continue to be for a very long time,” he added.