Embattled actors Kevin Spacey and Steven Seagal will not be charged with sex crimes by the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office over allegations the D.A. says have exceeded the state’s statute of limitations.
The alleged events in the case against Spacey — one of dozens of allegations that have been leveled against him by men in the U.S. and abroad over the last year — occurred in 1992. “The victim was not a minor at the time of the alleged crime, according to authorities,” THR reports.
In its initial report on the D.A. reviewing the case, THR noted that it was the second case against Spacey presented to the D.A. “The initial case was presented April 5 to the district attorney’s office by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department,” the outlet reported at the time. “It is unclear which law enforcement agency filed the new case.”
Allegations against Spacey began to surface after actor Anthony Rapp publicly accused Spacey of sexually assaulting him when he was 14 years old. In the weeks that followed, a series of similar allegations emerged, and Spacey’s massively successful career collapsed.
The case against Seagal involves an incident that allegedly occurred in 1993 involving an 18-year-old. That case has likewise passed the statute of limitations, authorities say. Not many details have come to light about that case, but Seagal has been publicly accused of sexual harassment or assault by multiple women, including Jenny McCarthy, who says he tried to make her strip in an audition though the script didn’t call for nudity, an allegation Seagal denied.
Another case against an actor, “Black-ish” star Anthony Anderson, has been dropped after the accuser declined to be interviewed after filing the initial report, THR reports.