House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) endorsed a replacement for Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) in the House GOP leadership on Sunday ahead of a vote that is expected to happen this week.
McCarthy made the remarks after reports surfaced on Friday that Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC) is expected to initiate a call on Wednesday morning to remove Cheney from her position as House Republican Conference Chair.
“Democrats are destroying this nation,” McCarthy said. “We’ve watched the greatest expansion of government [in] this socialist liberal agenda. We watched them destroy our borders, where hundreds of thousands are coming across, not being tested for COVID. We’re catching people on the terrorist watch list.”
“You’ve got the destruction of our energy. You’ve got the largest missed jobs report [in] more than two decades,” he continued. “To defeat Nancy Pelosi and the socialist agenda, we need to be united — and that starts with leadership. That’s why we will have a vote next week. And we want to be united in looking, moving forward. And I think that’s what will take place.”
One of the few names that has been floated to replace Cheney is Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY), who voted with Trump less than Cheney did. When asked if he supports Stefanik for the job, McCarthy answered, “Yes, I do.”
“What we’re talking about, it’s a position in leadership. We are in one of our biggest battles ever for this nation and the direction, whether this next century will be ours,” McCarthy said. “As conference chair, you have one of the most critical jobs as the messenger of going forward. Are we talking about what the Democrats are doing on the border? Are we talking about all the missed jobs report [sic] that we just had? Are we building an economy? [We’re] watching Joe Biden create inflation that we’ve never seen before, a takeover of government, the rising of taxes, the damage of what will be done that we cannot come back for.”
“That’s why we need a conference that’s united,” McCarthy continued. “That’s why we need a conference chair that is delivering that message day in and day out and uniting the nation to make sure that we are on the right footing going forward.”
- Liz Cheney Orchestrated Secret Media Campaign To Counter Trump Rhetoric While He Was In Office: Report
- ‘She’s A Liability’: Republicans Intend To Oust Liz Cheney From House Leadership By Month’s End, Report Says
- Liz Cheney Launches Another Attack On Trump As Calls Grow To Remove Her From GOP Leadership
- Trump Hits Liz Cheney In Brutal New Statement: Poll Numbers So Bad She Is Looking For A Way Out Of Her Congressional Race
- Kevin McCarthy Hammers Liz Cheney For Not Being A Team Player: ‘It Creates Difficulties’
- Liz Cheney Slammed For Attacking Trump During News Conference, GOP Leaders Seen Cringing At Her Remarks
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.