Federal Officer Gunned Down Outside Courthouse In Phoenix, Suspect Taken Into Custody

   DailyWire.com
PHOENIX - JULY 31: A policeman stands guard as supporters and opponents of Arizona's immigration enforcement law face off during a demonstration against illegal immigration on July 31, 2010 in Phoenix, Arizona. Hundreds of supporters of Arizona's immigration enforcement law SB 1070 and Tea Party supporters rallied in favor of the law at the state capitol building. Several dozen opponents of the law turned out to stage a counter protest.
John Moore/Getty Images

The FBI arrested an individual late on Tuesday in connection with a drive-by shooting earlier in the day that resulted in a federal law enforcement officer being injured outside a Phoenix courthouse.

“The FBI is investigating an assault on a federal officer which occurred outside of the Federal Courthouse, 401 W. Washington, Phoenix, AZ around 11:30 a.m.,” the bureau’s Phoenix field office said in a statement. “One person, a court security officer, has been transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.”

The bureau later added: “An individual is in custody in connection with the assault on a federal officer … This is an ongoing investigation. No further information can be released at this time.”

ABC 15 reported that the suspect’s vehicle was seen leaving the area after the suspect opened fire on the officer.

A source confirmed that account to The Daily Wire and described the incident as a drive-by shooting.

Phoenix City Council Sal DiCiccio wrote the following on Twitter: “If you didn’t think it could happen here, it just did. A federal officer was just shot in front of the Sandra Day O’Connor federal building in a drive by attack.”

“Multiple shots were fired at the officer who was struck in the vest. Injuries are believed to be non life threatening. Make no mistake, this is a direct result of the extremist anti-police attacks we have seen from BLM and Antifa across the country. This insanity needs to stop,” DiCiccio continued.

 

“The victim is a full deputized US Marshall working at the Federal Courthouse. He was transported to a local hospital, non life threatening injuries. He was able to return fire at the suspects vehicle. Officers are continuing to look for the suspect in the area,” DiCiccio continued. “For the safety of our officers & the public, PHX PD will now be moving to two-person patrols. I’ve encouraged this for many years, while also pushing to hire more officers. Without hiring more officers, this will significantly reduce the number of patrols on the streets.”

The attack comes after two Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department deputies were shot in the head earlier this week in Compton. The two deputies were rushed to the hospital with critical injuries where they were later met by left-wing protesters who told police officers that they hoped that the wounded deputies died.

“To the protesters blocking the entrance & exit of the HOSPITAL EMERGENCY ROOM yelling ‘We hope they die’ referring to 2 LA Sheriff’s ambushed today in #Compton: DO NOT BLOCK EMERGENCY ENTRIES & EXITS TO THE HOSPITAL,” the L.A. County Sheriffs wrote on Twitter. “People’s lives are at stake when ambulances can’t get through.”

“The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said that a 24-year-old male deputy and a 31-year-old female deputy were the ones that were wounded and that they were in serious condition,” The Daily Wire reported. “Law enforcement said that the deputies were sitting in their police vehicle when the suspect approached from the rear and opened fire.”

The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.

Read more in: