The Biden administration said Tuesday evening that their position on the upcoming 2022 Olympics in Beijing “has not changed” and that they have not discussed any boycotts.
The State Department issued a statement saying it was not considering a boycott after spokesman Ned Price suggested earlier in the day that one was possible in response to China’s human rights abuses.
“Our position on the 2022 Olympics has not changed,” a senior State Department official told CNBC. “We have not discussed and are not discussing any joint boycott with allies and partners.”
A former senior Treasury official told CNBC that boycotting the Olympics would be seen as a “Cold War statement” and that “it’s better to go there and dominate.”
“It’s better to be Jesse Owens than the Soviets in ’84,” the official added.
Biden is likely to face intense backlash if he does not at least seriously consider boycotting the Beijing Olympics after he threw his support last week behind Major League Baseball withdrawing their All-Star Game from Atlanta over a new election law, which he has repeatedly lied about. Atlanta potentially lost more than $100 million in revenue.
The new host city, Denver, is also less racially diverse than Atlanta, which is relevant because the Left pushed for MLB to ditch Atlanta over a law they claimed intended to suppress the minority vote.
Biden admitted Tuesday that he has not confronted Chinese President Xi Jinping about China’s lies during the coronavirus pandemic, despite saying on the campaign trail that he would do so.
A year ago, Biden promised he would confront China, and wouldn't take their word about the coronavirus.
Now he's openly admitting he hasn't confronted Xi for China's lies
— Zach Parkinson (@AZachParkinson) April 6, 2021
The Daily Wire highlighted on Monday China’s lies, early coverup, delay in releasing critical facts, online censorship, promotion of baseless conspiracy theories, and silencing of medical professionals during the pandemic. Even the Biden administration has expressed serious doubt about a recently released WHO report from inside China about the origins of the pandemic.
The Daily Wire previously highlighted different reports on the statistics that China released on their own coronavirus cases and deaths:
U.S. officials have indicated that they believe that China “intentionally” underreported their true numbers “by at least a factor of 50.” British officials reportedly told Prime Minister Boris Johnson early in the pandemic that China could have underreported their numbers “by a factor of 15 to 40 times.” The Washington Post reported in April that “evidence” coming out of Wuhan suggested that the real death count was over 40,000, which comes as China still claims that it only has a little over 4,600 deaths total nationwide. A conservative estimate in April from the American Enterprise Institute (AEI)—which gave China every benefit of the doubt when coming up with their calculations, and then some—suggested that China severely and “deliberately” underreported their numbers and that China’s true numbers at the time had to be at least 2.9 million infections with well over 100,000 deaths.
Then-Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe said in December that the Chinese Communist Party, when they knew about the coronavirus’s transmissibility, “allowed it to go from China to the rest of the world.”
“They intentionally and deliberately downplayed it in their country, pressured World Health Organizations, and allowed it to spread to the rest of the world,” Ratcliffe added. “And that didn’t just have the effect of wrecking the global economy. It didn’t just have the effect of killing millions of people, including hundreds of thousands of Americans. It also had grave political consequences.”