On Monday, Donald Trump released a statement slamming the Clinton Foundation and demanding it be shut sown immediately:
Hillary Clinton is the defender of the corrupt and rigged status quo. The Clintons have spent decades as insiders lining their own pockets and taking care of donors instead of the American people. It is now clear that the Clinton Foundation is the most corrupt enterprise in political history. What they were doing during Crooked Hillary’s time as Secretary of State was wrong then, and it is wrong now. It must be shut down immediately.
Trump had been criticized for appearing to lay off Clinton as he did last Wednesday in an exchange with Sean Hannity; the exchange went like this:
Hannity: We know that gays and lesbians in Saudi Arabia can get the death penalty ... would you ever take money from a country that treats gays, lesbians, Jews and Christians that way?
Trump: Well you don't want to do that and if they knew about it that would be one thing and I assume they knew about it, bigly, but certainly they know about it now so maybe they can give the money back.
Hannity: Wait a minute, they knew about it, because that has been Saudi Arabia's practice for years.
Trump: But you know what, let's give them the benefit of the doubt.
"It must be shut down immediately."
Donald Trump, on the Clinton Foundation
But Trump’s reticence is now apparently a thing of the past; the Trump campaign has apparently decided to coordinate an effort to target Hillary Clinton and her involvement in the Clinton Foundation. On Sunday, the Trump campaign released a fact sheet attacking Hillary Clinton and the Clinton Foundation. The fact sheet listed ten accusations, then substantiated them in full after each accusation. The accusations listed were:
- Major Overlaps Between Clinton’s Campaign Donors And Her Foundation Donors, Raising Ethical Red Flags;
- Several Major Clinton Foundation Donations Came From Companies Lobbying The Federal Government;
- The Clinton Foundation Accepted Millions From Foreign Governments;
- The Clinton Foundation Accepted Millions From Other Foreign Sources While Clinton Served As Secretary Of State;
- The Clinton Foundation Announced They Wouldn’t Take Foreign Or Corporate Money If Clinton Is Elected, But Other Charities Still Will Be Allowed To;
- The FBI Wanted To Open An Investigation Into The Clinton Foundation, But The Effort Was Scuttled By The Obama Administration;
- Clinton’s Chief Of Staff At State Had A Deep And Simultaneous Involvement In The Clinton Foundation;
- Sidney Blumenthal Collected $10,000 A Month From The Clinton Foundation While Providing Libyan Intelligence To Clinton;
- The Clinton Foundation Failed To Disclose $26.4 Million In Speaking Honoraria While Clinton Was Secretary Of State;
- Since 2003, The Clinton Foundation Has Spent More Than $50 Million On Travel.