Democrats and the mainstream media continued to destroy any remaining credibility they have left with their recent hysteria surrounding the debate on illegal immigration as they pushed lie after lie in their attempts to emotionally manipulate voters.
Before jumping into the lies and false information that the media and Democrats have injected into the American public, it’s important to note the timeline of events that led up to the creation of this current news cycle.
The current news cycle on the poor treatment of illegal immigrants began in late May when people like former Obama speechwriter Jon Favreau tweeted out an article from 2014 and falsely insinuated that it was the Trump administration that was responsible for it.
David French wrote at National Review that Favreau wasn’t the only leftist that spread the lie as “activists like Linda Sarsour shared the image, as did journalists like CNN’s Hadas Gold and Jake Silverstein of the New York Times.”
It’s important to note that Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced the Trump administration’s “zero-tolerance” policy on April 6, 2018, nearly nine weeks before these lies started popping up on social media.
Now, let’s look at what happened right around that time when the narrative was starting to take shape and was starting to grow on social media:
- A Reuters poll released on May 22 showed that the Democrats’ momentum heading into the 2018 midterms was completely gone as Republicans had taken a 6-point lead on the midterm generic ballot.
- Fox News’ Catherine Herridge reported on May 29 that congressional sources had indicted Inspector General Michael Horowitz was slated to testify to Congress and to release his report in early to mid-June.
- The New York Times reported on May 30 that the North Korean summit between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un was back on for June 12.
- The Democrats and the media intentionally lied about Trump’s “animals” comment where he was referring to MS-13 and falsely claimed he was talking about immigrants. Nancy Pelosi gave a press conference on May 17 where she continued to push the lie. In response, the RNC put out a brutal campaign ad slamming the Democrats for their remarks and for their apparent support of MS-13.
What should be clear is the Democrats were losing all the momentum that they had and were desperate to recapture control of the news cycle and the narrative.
Now, let’s look at the lies and false information that the political Left has spread during this news cycle:
7. Favreau falsely insinuated in a tweet that Trump was referring to immigrants when he said that criminal illegal aliens are “infest[ing]” the U.S. Trump was clearly referring to MS-13 as he literally stated in his tweet that he was referring to people “like MS-13.”
6. ABC News falsely insinuated that Trump was referring to “children” and “their parents” when he said at a rally: “We’re sending them the hell back!”
As can be seen in the video clip embedded in the tweet, Trump stated that he was referring to MS-13.
5. The media insinuated that a 10-year-old girl with Down syndrome was separated from her mother due to the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” policy.
This turned out not to be true as U.S. Customs and Border Protection said in a statement that the child was separated from her mother as a result of a smuggling attempt and that she was being held as a witness in the incident.
4. The 2-year-old Honduran girl that the media claimed was separated at the border from her mother was never separated from her mother, according to the girl’s father, U.S. officials, and Honduran officials.
3. Leftist activist Antonio Arellano falsely claimed: “ICE’s largest family detention center, Karnes County Residential Center in Texas, run by contractor GEO Group, has a prison bus just for babies.”
The link included in the now-deleted tweet stated that the bus was used to take children whose parents were being detained on field trips.
2. A report from the Associated Press claimed that illegal immigrant children at a detention center in Virginia had been subjected to horrible abuse from 2015-2018.
The original report used Trump’s name four times but failed to mention Obama, even though many of these incidents happened on his watch.
The AP added to their report and stated that some of the incidents happened under Obama, but the addition came after the story went viral and they failed to note anywhere in their updated report that they added to it and corrected it.
1. MSNBC falsely claimed that Trump was throwing children into “concentration camps” and warned its viewers that “your kids could be next.”