Here are the ten best quotes from Thursday night’s Republican debate.
1. “Now, secondly, let me say I’m a maniac and everyone on this stage is stupid, fat, and ugly. And Ben, you’re a terrible surgeon. Now that we’ve gotten the Donald Trump portion out of the way…”–Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tx.).
2. “Bernie Sanders is a socialist. I think Bernie Sanders is good candidate for president of Sweden. We don’t want to be Sweden. We want to be the United States of America.”–Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fl.).
3. “I don’t think she’s [former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton] responsible for his [former President Bill Clinton’s] behavior. But I do think that her position as promoting women’s rights and fairness to women in the workplace, that if what Bill Clinton did any CEO in our country did with an intern, with a 22-year- old, 21-year-old intern in their office, they would be fired. They would never be hired again.”–Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.).
4. “I think God has blessed this country with enormous natural resources, and we should pursue all of the above. We should be developing oil, and gas, and coal, and nuclear, and wind, and solar, and ethanol, and biofuels. But, I don’t believe that Washington should be picking winners and losers. And, I think there should be no mandates, and no subsidies whatsoever.”–Cruz.
5. “I think if you do not understand that our Judeo-Christian values are one of the reasons why America is such a special country, you don’t understand our history. You see, why are we one of the most generous people in the world — no, the most generous people in the world? Why do Americans contribute millions of dollars to charity? It is because in this nation, we are influenced by Judeo-Christian values that teach us to care for the less fortunate, to reach out to the needy, to love our neighbor. This is what’s made our nation so special.”–Rubio.
6. “And Hillary Clinton, Hillary Clinton is disqualified from being the commander-in-chief of the United States. In fact, one of her first acts as president may very well be to pardon herself because Hillary Clinton… Hillary Clinton stored classified information on her private server. And Hillary Clinton lied to the families of those four brave Americans who lost their life in Benghazi. And anyone who lies to the families of Americans who have died in the service of this country can never be commander-in-chief of the United States.”–Rubio.
7. “The problem is that Barack Obama has made law enforcement the enemy, Hillary Clinton has made law enforcement the enemy.They’re not supporting our law enforcement officers, it’s making everybody nervous to get out of their cars, if you’re a law enforcement officer.”–New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R).
8. “But the bottom line is we must have virtue, we must have a religious bearing as a nation. The government is not always going to save us and it’s not always going to come from government. But if we don’t know right and wrong, I think we have lost our way. I think we become unmoored and I think without the religious foundation that guides us all, I think we have a great risk of going horribly in the wrong direction.”–Paul.
9. “I recognize that Vladimir Putin is an opportunist and he’s a bully, and we have to face him down. And I would — first of all, face him down in that whole region, the whole Baltic region. I think we need to put in some armored brigades there. We only have one or two. We need much more than that. We need to be doing military exercises if not only Estonia but Latvia and Lithuania. They’re terrified by the saber rattling. I think we ought to put in our missile defense system .”–Dr. Ben Carson.
10. “The central question in this race is trust. Who do you know will kill the terrorists, defend the constitution and repeal Obamacare? Who do you know will stop amnesty and secure the borders? Who do you know will defend life, marriage and religious liberty? Examine our records, pray on it and I will be honored if you and your family will come caucus for us on Monday night.”–Cruz.
All quotes provided throughThe Washington Post‘s transcript.