Welcome back to Education Insanity, a weekly column updating you on the most insane events taking place in our nation’s schools. Here we’ll delve into the growing presence of critical race theory, the ideology that claims that America is irredeemably rooted in racism, and “woke” culture.
Let’s get started.
10. Video: ‘I Hate White People,’ Black Law Student Leader Says – The College Fix
A University of Miami black law student leader posted on Instagram a video of her admitting that she “hate[s] white people.” The university has refused to comment on the video. According to a University of Miami student, several students have filed complaints against the law student in the past. The university has ignored those concerns as well.
9. University of Illinois-Chicago Stops Identifying Suspect Races In Crime Alerts To Avoid ‘Stereotypes’ – Young America’s Foundation
The University of Illinois-Chicago (UIC) campus police have eliminated any references to a suspect’s “race, ethnicity, and national origin” in public safety warnings in hope of eliminating “potential negative perpetuations of stereotypes.” An email obtained by the Young America’s Foundation reads, “Effective January 2021, the university will no longer routinely use race, ethnicity, or national origin as a descriptor in public safety advisories.”
8. University of Nevada Says White Students Can’t Live In Minority Dorm Communities For ‘Safety’ Of Residents – Young America’s Foundation
The University of Nevada-Reno (UNR) has created segregated dorm communities for students of color only. White students at UNR are not allowed to live in the segregated dorms “for the safety of student participants.” The school has three “minority-only” communities, one for “Latinx” students, one for Indigenous students, and another for Black Scholars.
7. University of Pennsylvania Professor Condemns ‘White Evangelicals’ [Not Taking Vaccine] As A ‘Public Health Issue’ – Campus Reform (Title Modified from Original)
A University of Pennsylvania professor joined MSNBC’s Joy Reid where she claimed that religious exemptions for the coronavirus vaccine are a “public health issue.” Reid claimed that “White evangelical resistance” is considered a “public health problem.” The professor agreed and said that countless people would die as religious organizations opt not to vaccinate.
6. Many School Districts Refusing To Commit To In-Person Reopening In The Fall As Teachers Unions Continue To Move Goalposts – The Daily Wire
School districts across the country are refusing to commit to fully reopening for in-person learning in the fall. According to a report from The Washington Post, some schools are planning for hybrid systems that combine in-person and remote learning because children will not be vaccinated — though nearly every teacher will be. Schools are also unsure whether they will allow extracurricular activities such as choir and sports to continue.
5. Cornell University Mandates COVID-19 Vaccines For Students And Staff – New York Post
Leadership at Cornell University announced that students and staff must be vaccinated in order to return to campus in the fall. In a press release, university President Matha Pollack and Provost Michael Kotlikoff announced that Cornell would become the next school to make a return-to-campus contingent upon vaccination.
4. Florida State University Class On The ‘History Of Karen’ Uses KKK Photo To Promote Class On ‘White Womanhood’ – Campus Reform
A flyer for a class at Florida State University promoted the class “History of Karen,” which will examine the “weaponizing” of white womanhood. The poster featured a quote from New York Times columnist Charles Blow which reads, “The activation of white terror is a white woman’s soft power. We like to masculinize white supremacy, to presume it reeks of testosterone, when in fact, it is just as likely to be spritzed by perfume.”
3. L.A. Teachers Want Free Child Care Before Returning To In-Person Learning – Politico
A Los Angeles teachers union is demanding that teachers be given free child care before returning to in-classroom instruction. The demand, which came from the United Teachers of Los Angeles (UTLA), wants “educators with young children to continue working from home until the district can provide them subsidized child care and a proper child care program for teachers by fall.”
2. ‘Senseless, Irrational, Cowardice Bulls***’: High School Track Coach Fired After Refusing To Make His Team Wear Masks – The Daily Wire
Bradley Keyes, a New Hampshire high school track and field coach, was fired after refusing to tell his team that they had to wear masks when they competed. Keyes issued a blog post encouraging parents to tell the school they opposed the masking policy. In an email to the school, Keyes wrote, “I’ll come straight to the point. I will not put kids on the track and tell them to run any races while wearing masks. I will not stand up in front of the kids and lie to them and tell them that these masks are doing anything worthwhile out in an open field with wind blowing and the sun shining.”
1. Portland Activists Say Evergreen Is A ‘Tree Of Death’ – Washington Free Beacon
A school in Portland, Oregon, delayed a vote to adopt an evergreen tree as its mascot because some Board of Education members feared the mascot would be reminiscent of lynching. The school is in the process of changing its Trojan mascot. The mascot-renaming committee proposed the evergreen for its “life-giving force,” however, another committee member said he understood how others could see the symbol as “a tree of death.”
Got tips? Email me here: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.