On Saturday, what could be terrorist plots hit in New York, New Jersey and Minnesota. Two explosions hit the New York/ New Jersey area on Saturday; one in Seaside Park, New Jersey, near the site of a Marine Corps charity race, on Saturday morning, and one in the heart of the Chelsea area of Manhattan Saturday night. Also on Saturday night, an attacker was shot dead in a St. Cloud, Minnesota mall after he had stabbed multiple people. Between 25-30 people were injured in the Manhattan blast; no one was injured in New Jersey.
Here is what you need to know about the attacks:
Seaside, New Jersey:
1) The explosion in Seaside Park was detonated in a garbage can near the Semper Fi 5K Charity Run at 9:35 a.m. The race was scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m., according to the Asbury Park Press.
2) Al Della Fave, spokesman for the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office, is assuming the explosion was a terrorist act; he said, "You would have to assume that at a military-type event, the U.S. Marines, a device is placed along the route of a charity event, it would be hard to think it would be anything else.” Della Fave said multiple explosive devices were found in the trash can, but only one detonated.
3) Luckily, because of problems with registration, the race was late starting. “When it went off, there was nobody in the area,” said Della Fave.
4) The Ocean County Sheriff's Department announced the 39th Annual "Festival of the Sea" in Point Pleasant Beach was canceled, according to Pix 11.
Chelsea, New York:
1) The blast occurred at roughly 8:30 p.m. in front of 135 23rd St. between Sixth and Seventh avenues, in front of Selis Manor, an apartment building that assists the blind community. The explosion shattered windows in a five-story brownstone building.
3) A possible secondary device was discovered at West 27th Street between Sixth and Seventh Avenue, according to the NYPD.
4) Police Commissioner James O'Neill, whose first full day was Saturday, said the NYPD has a video of the explosion. and is collecting more video, but would not discuss additional details of the investigation, such as what may have exploded or whether it was in a garbage can, as earlier reports indicated.
5) The area between 23rd and 25th Streets, and 23rd Street between Avenue of the Americas and Seventh Avenue was shut down. The F and E lines on the subway were also closed.
St. Cloud, Minnesota:
1) The incident occurred at the Crossroads Mall at roughly 8:30 p.m. Saturday night. The attacker is dead.
2) Eight people were stabbed; they were taken to a hospital, where one was admitted and the other seven were being treated.
3) It is not clear whether the attacker was shot dead by police or a civilian with a carry permit.